Ok. following in the vein of best/worst villain/hero. I was wondering, who's everyone's hated protagonist? The only rule is that you've gotta justify your hate with at least three different reasons. Mine is:
- He whines constantly about Serah.
- He often patronises Hope. (particularly early in the game)
- He's the worst mage of the group.
Let me get this out the way before anyone else.
- Has no real reason to be in the party (Although this could be the case with at lest one character in FF games)
- Surprisingly rude. (Fran how old are you again?)
- And that stupid vest thing that he wears. And you would think that when the party has to through cold places they would replace the characters clothes, but thats never the case.
To be completely fair, that doesn't happen in pretty much any FF game & he was just asking what everyone was thinking. But my actual beef is with...
Unlike Vaan, who is acknowledged as a bad character, Terra is given tons of praise that she doesn't deserve. She's better, but she's not the "great, deep protagonist" that everyone paints her to be.
- She was definitely assigned a female gender role & simply thrust into the role of main character. She muses on love, she's the chosen character to be the surrogate parent of the orphans, several characters hit on her but she's too innocent or whatever to understand their advances, it's freaking mind boggling why people think she's progressive.
- She's totally useless. As far as stats go, she's just like any other protagonist. But how often does Terra kick ass in a cutscene? Usually, she's going crazy, fleeing the party, refusing to fight, or some combination. It shouldn't have taken her more than a minute or 2 for her to get her shit together in Mobliz & realize she had to stop Kefka. Everyone else did for far less good of reasons than having to protect an entire town of orphans.
- Her transformation is retarded. She turns purple & it doubles her stats. Lamest idea for a special ability ever.
- Her storyline is so melodramatic. When it's not about her love issues, it's about her mixed parentage or the teenage pregnancy going on under her nose. It's like everyone else is in a fantasy adventure & she's stuck in a soap opera.
- She is by far the most brooding FF protagonist & she doesn't really have it that bad. She doesn't even remember being used by the Empire, so as far as she's concerned, her biggest problem is a bit of emotional confusion.
^ Basically what I was going to mention. People go nutso over her mixed-heritage like that's so darn innovative and hasn't been done to death before. Terra's like the worst aspects of every FF Female rolled into one. Glad to see people who aren't totally infatuated with her 'round here
It's weird, because VI actually does have a good female lead, who is basically the main protagonist for the 2nd half. So when the discussion of VI's "first female heroine" rolls around, why is Celes so ignored?
The best remedy for that is to beat Terra numerous times with Kefka in Dissidia Mog&Boko 09:58, June 12, 2010 (UTC)
Dissidia is pretty much a cure-all for FF grudges. Never quite beat Kefka? Fight him in Dissidia. Hate a certain character? Beat them up in Dissidia. Fond of those Kefka/Sephiroth debates? Pick your favorite & assault the other one repeatedly in Dissidia.
Except the option isn't open to evreyone. TARDISES 17:29, June 13, 2010 (UTC)
Still, it's well worth investing in Mog&Boko 19:26, June 13, 2010 (UTC)
By that, I meant nto evreyone hsa it, duh. I don't for example. TARDISES 19:41, June 13, 2010 (UTC)
And by my comment I meant that it's worth getting it. Sorry for any confusion. Mog&Boko 20:53, June 13, 2010 (UTC)
It's not as if I don't want it or anything, OFC... TARDISES 22:54, June 13, 2010 (UTC)
Yeah, I really don't like Snow. That hero-thingy he goes on and on the whole game really drove me crazy
Meh, I always thought Terra was one of the better characters. Her equipment selection is the best in the game and really her ability can kick some serious ass against most bosses, unlike Celes' which is useful a few times but not really. Also, you would brood a lot too if you were raised as a prisoner and slave of an evil empire and literally had no childhood or life experience and were suddenly told that everyone needed you to help save the world. Masterblaster9001 23:09, June 14, 2010 (UTC)
Agree with Masterblaster, Terra kicks ass. Since she was little she was a slave, who knows how long that slave thing was on her head it could have been her whole life which is why she questions her emotions so much. Dumb Terra haters :) Dissidian
It's kind of a moot point if she doesn't remember any of it. Her backstory is basically amnesia (which she's told will go away) & being an orphan (waah). Big whoop. The party will drop whatever actually important shit they're doing at a moment's notice just to comfort her, anyway.
And as I said, in terms of stats, she's powerful, but in terms of story, she's a rather useless damsel in distress. Furthermore, while her ability is powerful, it's not very creative or interesting. And honestly, I got way more usage out of Celes. It renders magic useless in a game where magic is the ubermansch.Not to mention that doesn't address my other complaints about her.
I never used runic except in the battle where it is introduced. My tactic is more "kill it before it kills me" which makes Terra more useful, despite the fact that trance never lasts at first. Storyline wise, I think the character was a good idea, but Square just went too far with it. Mysidian Nomad 20:40, June 21, 2010 (UTC)
It's not a "moot" point because she has NOTHING to remember. You also said it is basically amnesia, which will go away anyways, but like I said she has NOTHING to remember. She is basically a child in an adult's body. She knows NO emotion, none at all. The party will drop whatever "shit" they're doing to comfort her because they know that she is CRUCIAL to taking down the empire and because they're GOOD people. Another thing is she can't control her esper form at first which is why she goes berserk, she has so much power that she can't really control it all that well. Also, if her turning into her esper form in not creative or interesting I don't know what is. Zidane also goes into a "trance" but I would much rather see a purple naked girl esper than a purple glowing guy with a tail.
Concerning Celes, which I LOVE also, she was so depressed that she was about to KILL herself. Pathetic, much? Runic Vs Trance both are amazing but Terra Vs Celes, Terra would win because once Terra trances Celes can only Runic to defend against her magic but Terra can attack with BOTH magic and sword. Sure Celes can attack with both magic and sword as well but her stats don't double and if she keeps using Runic she will never win. Dissidian
See, this is why I hate these "hate" forums. Worst this, worst that, it's just a bunch of people arguing about characters they like or don't like. It's not like you can do anything about it anyway. Mysidian Nomad 02:45, June 23, 2010 (UTC)
I always thought this confined most of our 'least favourite character' rants to an empty space instead of clogging up the DNC etc. The reason I created this forum was because I was interested to see which protagonists were the least favourite, unlike many of the villain/hero threads with the comic reasons used in other forums. If you don't like these things then by all means don't participate. It's not a question of whether or not we can do anything about it, more like a bit of fun conversation. So many people moan about things like the price of say petrol, but we can't do anything about that. Not meaning this to be some attack for someone's opinion, more just the reasoning behind why this forum was made. Mog&Boko 15:45, June 23, 2010 (UTC)
So you're trying to isolate it rather than encourage it. Sorry, I misunderstood your motives Mysidian Nomad 18:30, June 23, 2010 (UTC)
That's OK, don't worry about it. Now, who else deserves the title of annoying FF playable-character? Mog&Boko 20:07, June 23, 2010 (UTC)
I'm not going to bother debating this further. I played the game & heard all of its crappy excuses. Now, if you're so concerned about the logic behind peoples' positions, why don't you bother the guy who said Vaan's vest was stupid?
Yeah probably because you have no rebuttal. I'm not concerned about the logic, but you're just bashing Terra. You're not just stating why you dislike her but you're actually badmouthing her and her "character". With Vaan's vest, it's just a physical thing, it's not his "character". Whatever, agree to disagree :P Dissidian
Are you high? Don't accuse me of "not having a rebuttal" & then say, "Agree to disagree." I just don't want to debate endlessly against people who refuse to accept that some people don't like their precious fucking flower, & dear God, that they might actually have legitimate reasons. Okay?
I don't have a clue what's happened now really, but, character complaints generally hold more weight than "Vaan won't cover up appropriately in Paramina Rift" Mog&Boko 12:20, June 27, 2010 (UTC)
I wanted to do this from a long time and Neo was a great motivation (EPIC Terra bashing!) TenzaZangetsu 20:36, July 22, 2010 (UTC)
- Many people have told that she's a deep character, in what? All her story is that she bang a 1st Class and later bang the 1st Class's best friend. I never saw her doing anything else than talking to Zack, Cloud.
- She's useless. Yes, her Limits are amazing but that's that. And don't give that "She's a good mage" crap, everyone in FFVII are good mages.
- She's extremely overrate because of her death, big deal. Her death was epic but because of Sephiroth and what piss me off the most is the fact that everyone blamed Cloud for her death.
- This is what I hate the most: The fact everyone thinks she's the most beautiful girl in FFVII, why dream about her when you have someone ten times better in the same game?