Because Yūkyū no Kaze Densetsu: Final Fantasy III Yori is a non-color manga, you can't tell which palette-swap of an enemy is being represented. Enemy family pages of enemies per-gameseries are a feature of the wiki, like FFX and FFD, and these would be the easiest place to cover these non-enemy-specific manga appearances. I've organised enemies into families here and given provisional names. where there aren't official names we have to invent them, but they can always be changed if people have better ideas
While doing this I noticed our enemy sprites for FFIII aren't that great. Many are GIFs, some are JPGs, some are stretched, and some have black backgrounds. There's also a small inconsistency of sizing-- most of FFIII's are inconsistent with the rest of the wiki: File:FF3NES-Behemoth.png v. .
Aaand recently we've been splitting FFIV 2D enemies from 3D enemies. I assume we want to do the same with FF3 too. Enemy family articles can link to both 2D and 3D sets of articles. We'll have to name the NES articles after the fanslation because SE have never given the west the 2D version.
- Reuploading FFIII NES enemy images as pixel=1x1px transparent background PNGs.
- Splitting FFIII enemy articles into 2D and 3D articles.
- Creating FFIII enemy family articles.
I'm not going to get on this right away, so if anyone has any comments to make/wants to discuss about how/whether we should go about things then do so. Also this is boring stuff so if anyone else wants something to do, feel free to take up any of these things. JBed (talk) 22:03, August 1, 2018 (UTC)
- Only time we should split the remake page from the original is when the stats are heavily different. FFIII's 2D stats are different from 3D, so it's a good idea to split in this case. Was planning on a project space overhaul eventually, but in the mean time, adding this general rule to a policy page seems sensible.
- There should probably be an infobox enemy family that applies for all games.-- Technobliterator TC 00:29, August 2, 2018 (UTC)
- I guess??? Name, image, and the "FFX enemy family" in the header, the Japanese name*. These articles don't get that long unless there's something special. Brief physical description and attack pattern commonalities only take a few sentences, and the rest of the article is the list. I suppose for games with enemy types, families will often share common types that can go in there. X-2 has associated Fiend Hunter abilities and the Oversoul count. And XII has the Monograph. for FFX they decided to find synonyms for every enemy family! FFX's Imps are 小鬼系 Kooni-kei, X-2's are 邪鬼種族 Jaki Shuzoku
- On a related note, it would also be useful to have list of enemy family pages. I am unsure how to go about this. FFX/X-2 currently have Fiend (Final Fantasy X)*. We also have the the list should be on its own article because not all enemies are fiends; but observe the layoutGenus page for XII*. Do we want "List of enemy families" (like FFX, a simple linked list of families), or "List of enemies by family" (like XII, a listing of enemies separated by their family). which currently doesn't have family pages; imagine it with links
- Also we have Final Fantasy XI enemies, which is more like FFX's but uses galleries. While images are useful because they won't always be identifiable by names, lists using <gallery>s isn't very useful since they usually require See more-ing and aren't Ctrl+F-able. JBed (talk) 02:02, August 2, 2018 (UTC)
Not to necro this for its own sake, but seeing as the initiative came up in other discussions, https://videogamesprites.net/ does have most of the work already done when it comes to adding outlines. The offerings aren't necessarily perfect (specifically for things like whether extra pixels should be used to express points properly), but it's certainly a consistent source if we're either going to show them at 2x or can find an easy way to halve them to 1x en masse. Bluestarultor (talk) 00:11, 5 November 2021 (UTC)