A lot of our tables in articles contain images, which usually takes up a great bit of horizontal space, and increases the table's vertical space significantly. Sometimes we don't do that and put everything in a gallery below.
Currently on Draw point for the Island Closest to Heaven draw points (#66-93) I have set up an alternative. An image icon can be clicked to bring up the image.
On mobile it doesn't show the image icon and just shows the image there. Mobile automatically adapts image sizes so it shouldn't look bad, or at least not worse than image tables already do.
I've currently set it up entirely via CSS, so it can be used with:
Which hopefully in the future will just be:
Although it could probably do with a template implementation. The image doesn't visibly appear on the page, so it's set to 1x1px for minimum download requirement. A template could handle that automatically. If there's a better way to do this or a reason this is somehow bad it would be good to know.
- A template implementation is probably best suited to this. Given the files are currently implemented as templates and work as intended in the mobile skin, there's no real downside to making it a template, other than usual things like reaching the pages' template limit.
- That said, we don't know what changes will be made to the mobile skin in UCP. I imagine they will make it more lenient, but in the event that they make it worse, it's trivially easy to use a bot to convert templates to image format (subst:), and less easy (though possible) to do the reverse.
- I really like this idea. I think it would work great on the chocograph page too, and is worth considering as a replacement for existing uses of images in foot (which break on mobile and are not accessible), so I'm in full support of adding this to templatespace.-- Technobliterator TC 06:06, April 1, 2020 (UTC)
Set up at Template:Show image. Made some adjustments so the size of the icon is the size of the text.
- It's great! It didn't work when I tried it on the FFXV weapon module, though. That would be an ideal over the current duct tape solution!Keltainentoukokuu (talk) 20:16, April 6, 2020 (UTC)
- Templates used in modules won't work unless the function specifically instructs it to. Ideally we'd never need to*, but I'll need to work on the system before I expect users to bother with that. we'd just create a WeaponFind data page that had fields for "weapon", "location", and "image", and then the #invoke would generate a find list for each weapon with the template applied to the images
- I'll amend the function to add the template on an individual basis for now. JBed (talk) 21:15, April 6, 2020 (UTC)