Flans are one of the few varieties of natural wildlife left on Mount Zhayolm. Although their bodies are pliable and gelatinous, flans also possess large, sharp eyes used in searching out prey, and a flexible mouth filled with fangs. Despite their outward appearance, flans are also known for being highly intelligent, and reports of flan using extraordinarily powerful magic are not uncommon. However, they are unskilled in suppressing their emotions, and a flan's mood tends to have an enormous effect on its actions. Flans live in groups that seem to be connected in some inexplicable manner, but not much is currently known due to the dangers of researching such formidable creatures.
Flan can take on a number of appearances, or "modes"—namely, a "spiky" mode and a "scrunched" mode. Unconfirmed reports indicate that the flan will take more magical damage and less physical damage when in spiky mode.
- Amorphic Scythe: Conic 2-hit physical attack. Only used by custards and the Immortal Flan.
- Amorphic Spikes: Fivefold single target attack.
- Amplification: Magic Attack and Magic Defense boost.
- Boiling Point: Cone Attack Magic Defense down.
- Synergism: AoE Drain from nearby Flan.
- Xenoglossia: Next spell will be cast instantly. Only used by Notorious Monsters.
Flan is an open pastry or sponge cake containing a sweet or savory filling. A typical flan of this sort is round, with shortcrust pastry, usually coated with sweet syrup. It is similar to a custard tart or a South African melktert.