Tiamat: In a time before time, my father did come to this star, bearing seven eggs.Midgardsormr: From these eggs did my children hatch. And once they were full-grown, they took wing and spread across all the lands of Hydaelyn.On the First Brood, Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward
As primordial dragons, the Great Wyrms are among the oldest living beings on Hydaelyn, and among the most powerful. Their key source of power lies in their eyes. A single eye is a wellspring of aether that can rival other sources, such as the Tupsimati.
According to Midgardsormr, he arrived on Hydaelyn with seven eggs from which the first brood of dragons hatched, to escape the conflict between his home planet, Dragonstar, and Omega. He made a pact with Hydaelyn and revived the dragon race, while his children settled across the land before their kin would come to conflict with the mortal races. Midgardsormr later reveals that during the Third Astral Era, the dragons of Meracydia were attacked by the Allagan Empire, with Bahamut killed in battle. The Ascians tricked Bahamut's brood-sister, Tiamat, into trying to revive him as a primal—a decision she would regret as the Ascians also taught Emperor Xande the means to trap primals. While the imitation of Bahamut was sealed within Dalamud with many of the Meracydian dragons to maintain the primal, Tiamat was imprisoned in Azys Lla where she would remain to suffer until the end of Eorzea.
In the northern realm of Dravania, the "Skylords" under Hraesvelgr, Ratatoskr, and Nidhogg entered a truce with the Elezen "Landlords" who came to their lands during the Sixth Astral Era. Two hundred years later the Elezen king Thordan I and his Twelve Knights broke the peace by murdering Ratatoskr for her eyes and blinding Nidhogg when he sought revenge. After Nidhogg convinced Hraesvelgr to give up one of his eyes, he would continue a millennia-long bloody conflict called the Dragonsong War.
List of Great Wyrms
The known great wyrms are:
- Bahamut - The Dawn Wyrm, eldest of the First Brood. Mate of his brood-sister Tiamat, and father of the Meracydian Horde. Fell in battle against the Allagan Empire, parts of his aetherial essence were used in the creation of an eikon in his image.
- Tiamat - The Dusk Wyrm, brood-sister and mate to Bahamut, with whom she founded the Meracydian Horde. Tricked by the Ascians into summoning an eikon in the image of her fallen beloved, she allowed herself to be captured and imprisoned by the Allagans in grief and penance.
- Hraesvelgr - Founded the Dravanian Horde alongside Nidhogg and Ratatoskr. Fell in love with an elezen woman, Shiva, bringing mortals and dragons together for a time of peace and prosperity. Lost faith in mankind after the slaughter of his sister Ratatoskr.
- Nidhogg - Founded the Dravanian Horde alongside Hraesvelgr and Ratatoskr. Raised as his father's successor as a protector to the Star. Held mortals in disdain, evolving into hatred after the deaths of Bahamut and Ratatoskr. Raged an unending war against Ishgard for 1000 years following Ratatoskr's demise.
- Ratatoskr - Founded the Dravanian Horde alongside Nidhogg and Hraesvelgr. Acted as an emissary between the elezen and dragons during the time of peace. Was betrayed and slaughtered by King Thordan I and his twelve knights when they sought her power.
- Azdaja - Details of this wyrm remain unknown.
- Vrtra - The youngest of the First Brood, will play a role as an ally to the Scions in Endwalker.