I'm afraid the jury's still out on that one.
Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers is the third expansion for Final Fantasy XIV. It was announced in November 2018, and is scheduled to release in early summer 2019.
What awaits the liberator…? Tension grips the land as six nations now stand allied against the imperial armies of Garlemald. With the threat of war on the horizon, the Warrior of Light comes face-to-face with an old enemy seemingly risen from the ashes—Zenos. Could this impending conflict serve as a catalyst for an eighth and final Umbral era?!
It is time, once and for all, to take down the Garlean Empire!
Official description from the 2018 North American fanfest
- Level cap raised to 80.
- Two new jobs to be added, including Gunbreaker and Dancer.
- Battle System Maintenance: Job and Role abilities will be adjusted. The TP gauge will be removed, with the MP gauge being used by all jobs.
- Partly set in the First, one of thirteen reflections of the Source that is being consumed by a Flood of Light. Though not identical, it is a parallel world to the main setting with many similarities. The main region visited is known as Norvrandt, which is roughly analogous to the Source's Eorzea. Norvrandt is the only region in the world that has not yet succumbed to the Flood of Light, but remains locked in perpetual daylight.
- New areas:
- New cities of the Crystarium, built around an alternate version of the Crystal Tower, and Eulmore, which appears to be Norvrandt's answer to Limsa Lominsa
- New beast-tribes: the Nu mou, the Pixies, and the Dwarves. The Dwarves are Norvrandt's version of Lalafells, blurring the line around what is and what isn't considered a beast-tribe.
- Up to nine new instanced dungeons
- A new high-end raid known as Eden, produced by Tetsuya Nomura.
- A new alliance raid series will be introduced, YoRHa:Dark Apocalypse, produced by Yoko Taro.
- New end game content for Disciples of the Hand and Land, including the "Restoration of the Holy See of Ishgard"
- The Trust system from Final Fantasy XI will be implemented into the game, allowing players to summon specific NPC to assist them in battle and dungeons.
- New Game Plus system, which will allow players to repeat storyline quests and battles that they have already completed. Can also be used by level boosted characters to experience the storyline that they skipped by using the level boost feature.
- 32-bit Windows support will end
- New data centers for North America and Europe
- Viera and Hrothgar added as playable races, known in Norvrandt as Viis and Ronso. Viera will be female exclusive and Hrothgar male exclusive.
- Just like with the announcements of the previous expansions, director Naoki Yoshida wore a certain shirt to the announcement event to tease a new upcoming content, this time being a Bugs Bunny shirt. Unlike previous shirts, this one was not related to an upcoming job, but for an upcoming new playable race, revealed to be the Viera.
- Shadowbringer is the name of Final Fantasy IV protagonist Cecil Harvey's ability when he was a dark knight.
- The new Crystarium area is a near identical recreation of the unnamed city that first appeared in the Rapture demo from 2005.