Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers is the third expansion for Final Fantasy XIV. It was announced in November 2018, and was released on July 2, 2019.
The expansion takes players to the First, one of thirteen reflections of the Source that is being consumed by a Flood of Light. The main region visited is known as Norvrandt, which is roughly analogous to the Source's Eorzea, and is the only region in the world that has not yet succumbed to the Flood of Light.
What awaits the liberator…? Tension grips the land as six nations now stand allied against the imperial armies of Garlemald. With the threat of war on the horizon, the Warrior of Light comes face-to-face with an old enemy seemingly risen from the ashes—Zenos. Could this impending conflict serve as a catalyst for an eighth and final Umbral era?!
It is time, once and for all, to take down the Garlean Empire!
- Exploration of the First, including the following new areas, which each correspond
- Two new playable races, Viera and Hrothgar. The Viera will be female exclusive and the Hrothgar male exclusive.
- Two new jobs to be added, including Gunbreaker and Dancer. Both jobs tentatively will start at level 60.
- New beast-tribes: the Nu mou and the Pixies.
- A new kind of enemy monsters from the First: the Sin Eaters, the world's equivalent of The Source's Voidsent enemies.
- New end game content for Disciples of the Hand and Land, including the "Restoration of the Holy See of Ishgard".
- The Trust System from Final Fantasy XI will be implemented into the game, allowing players to summon specific NPC to assist them in battle and dungeons.
- New Game Plus system, which will allow players to repeat storyline quests and battles that they have already completed. Can also be used by level boosted characters to experience the storyline that they skipped by using the level boost feature.
- Up to nine new instanced dungeons
- A new high-end raid known as Eden, produced by Tetsuya Nomura.
- A new alliance raid series will be introduced, YoRHa:Dark Apocalypse, produced by Yoko Taro.
- Level cap raised to 80.
- Job and role abilities will be adjusted.
- The TP gauge will be removed, with the MP gauge being used by all jobs.
- 32-bit Windows support terminated.
- Support for hybrid Macintosh models terminated. Recommended models require latest macOS release and AMD graphics running in full 64-bit mode.
Note that the below version updates also added features and adjustments to A Realm Reborn (2.x), Heavensward (3.x) content or Stormblood (4.x).
Vows of Virtue, Deeds of Cruelty (5.1)Edit
A patch 5.1 was confirmed to include the announced features of the restoration of the Holy See of Ishgard, the New Game Plus, and the first alliance raid of YoRHa:Dark Apocalypse series. A new Frontline mode is planned to release as well.
It will also end the PvP collaboration event GARO x Final Fantasy XIV started during patch 3.5 The Far Edge of Fate.
- The Japanese subtitle Shikkoku no Hangyaku-sha or Shikkoku no Viranzu as indicated by the furigana (漆黒の
反逆者) literally translated to "jet black traitors (villains)".
- Just like with the announcements of the previous expansions, director Naoki Yoshida wore a certain shirt to the announcement event to tease a new upcoming content, this time being a Bugs Bunny shirt. Unlike previous shirts, this one was not related to an upcoming job, but for an upcoming new playable race, revealed to be the Viera.
- Shadowbringer is the name of Final Fantasy IV protagonist Cecil Harvey's ability when he was a dark knight.
- The new Crystarium area is a near identical recreation of the unnamed city that first appeared in the Rapture demo from 2005.
- Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers was the highest rated Final Fantasy title in 13 years.