The following is a list of version differences between the various versions of Final Fantasy XIII.
PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
The following is a list of differences between the PlayStation 3 version and the Xbox 360 version.
|PlayStation 3||Xbox 360|
|Distribution||1 Blu-ray Disc||3 DVD-ROM DL|
|Data Size||37.6 GB||18.3 GB|
|Install Option||Not available||The player can install the game to the hard drive.|
|Resolutions||1080p (upscaled from 720p)||576p|
|CGI Cutscenes||720p uncompressed||720p high compression|
|Trophies/Achievements||35 Trophies||34 Achievements* the Xbox 360 does not have a counterpart for the PlayStation 3's Platinum Trophy|
- Original release.
North American and European versions
- Versions outside of Japan use to confirm and to cancel.
- Various English terminology is altered.
- "Optima" and "Optima Change" are changed to "Paradigm" and "Paradigm Shift".
- "Attacker" is changed to "Commando".
- "Blaster" is changed to "Ravager".
- "Defender" is changed to "Sentinel".
- "Jammer" is changed to "Saboteur".
- "Enhancer" is changed to "Synergist".
- "Healer" is changed to "Medic".
- "Driving Mode" is changed to "Gestalt Mode".
- The exclamation mark is removed from "WARNING!" when spotted by enemies.
- "Enemy" is changed to "Target" when selecting a target in battle.
- "Break!" is changed to "Stagger".
- "Battle Result", "Rank", and "Items" are changed to "Battle Results", "Rating" and "Spoils".
- "Tactical Points" and "Tactical Points Gauge" are changed to "Technical Points".
- "Crystal Points" is changed to "Crystogen Points".
- "Battle Member Change" is changed to "Battle Team Changed" when the party is modified.
- "Treasure" is renamed "Open" when approaching a treasure sphere.
- "Reserve Smoke" is changed to "Shrouds" when opening the shroud menu.
- "Camera Settings" tutorial is changed to "Camera Control".
- "Chain Break System" tutorial is changed to "Attack Chain".
- "Command System" tutorial is changed to "Command Execution".
- "Item System" tutorial is changed to "Item Usage".
- "TP Ability" tutorial is changed to "Battle Technique".
- "Shiva Sister Battle" tutorial is changed to "Eidolon Battle".
- "Odin Driving Mode" tutorial is changed to "Gestalt Mode".
- Lip-syncing in cutscenes is re-edited to match the English voice-overs.
- Some vocal tracks are different.
- Synergists have modified AI, now prioritizing Haste more and En-spells less.
- The sound effect for Paradigm Shifts is different.
- Controller vibration is toned down.
- After exiting the save menu, the analogue stick must be released in order to move again.
- Movement is now disabled while the shroud menu is open.
- Preemptive strikes can no longer be performed against Ochu.
- Damage that is doubled upon attacking a target with Daze is now calculated before the damage cap is applied, meaning attacks can only deal up to 999,999 damage instead of 1,999,998.
- Only Japanese voice-overs are used, with English, Chinese, and Korean subtitles/menus.
- Background music remains the same as the original Japanese version.
Japanese re-released versions
- The battle difficulty can be changed between Easy and Normal under Settings (Ultimate Hits International Edition for Xbox 360; the PS3 version requires a patch update).
Microsoft Windows, Steam and Windows 10
- Screen resolution is locked to 1280×720. This was fixed in the December 2014 patch, but only for gameplay. Pre-rendered cutscenes remain in 720p.
- 60 FPS is supported.
- An option to choose between English and Japanese voice-overs is available in the North American and European versions. The Asian version only has the Japanese voice-overs.
- Background music for each version is from the English-North American version.
- Cloud saving is available via Steam Cloud.
- Steam Trading Cards are available.
- The camera can be rotated with the mouse.
- The battle difficulty can be changed between Easy and Normal.
- New options are added to the Settings menu.
- Keyboard Settings - Assign keys for when using keyboard control.
- Gamepad Controls - Check the control scheme for when using a gamepad controller.
- On-screen Button Explanations - Choose between keyboard buttons and Xbox buttons to be displayed on HUD.
- Staff Credits - View the game's credits. It was moved to the launcher as "Additional Credits".
- Middleware License - View middleware license information.
- Open-source software Licenses - View licensing information for open-source softwares.
- Six new weapons that were not in the original can be found within the game's data. They appear to be debug weapons and as such are not obtainable in normal gameplay: Godslayer (Lightning), Death Penalties (Sazh), Omnipotence (Snow), Faerie Tail (Vanille), Rising Sun (Hope), and Longinus (Fang).
- The Windows 10 version now show the current signed-in profile on the top right of the launcher and title screen.
Version 1.2 (December 2014)
- Custom rendering features (720p, 1080p etc.).
- New graphics options.
- Shadow resolutions (up to 8192×8192).
- Anti-aliasing (up to 16x).