After the fall...
Serah remembers everything from the day Cocoon fell. She remembers waking up from her long sleep and learning the truth of the crystal pillar that saved everyone. Most of all, she remembers her joyful reunion with Snow and Lightning-and setting out on a new journey with the two she loves most at her side. So why isn't that how it happened?
Don't miss this short story collection bridging the gaps between Final Fantasy XIII and its sequel!Official description
Final Fantasy XIII-2 Fragments Before is a 232-page book written by Jun Eishima, which takes place immediately before the events of Final Fantasy XIII-2 and contains several stories revolving around characters such as Serah, Snow, Noel, Rygdea, and Bartholomew Estheim. The book is priced at ¥1,470 and was released on December 15, 2011, in Japan.
The book was published in English by Yen Press on July 30, 2019. The book was also published in German (as Fragmente - Der Anfang) by Panini on April 8, 2014, and in French by Lumen on December 3, 2015.
List of chapters
- imaginary & real: Episode i.
- teacher & children: A story of daily life in New Bodhum up until 3 AF, and Serah's memories of the year 0 AF.
- friend & foe: The story of Snow's departure and journey in 3 AF.
- fair & foul: The creation of a provisional government, and the secret history of the founding of the Academy.
- someday & somewhere: The story of Noel's childhood and journey.
Additional information provided by the book
imaginary & real
teacher & children
- The Cavalry helped in New Bodhum's construction.
- Normal people can now use magic, which was formerly l'Cie-exclusive, and it's now considered a part of normal life.
- Several recent discoveries revealed that people have lived on Gran Pulse until recently, contrary to popular belief that the War of Transgression wiped them out.
- After moving to Pulse, Serah learned how to use weapons rather quickly and has exceptional reflexes, noted as having more fighting prowess than she knew.
- Vanille and Fang previously taught Snow which Pulsian monsters were edible and the proper way to catch them.
friend & foe
- Snow began his journey in 3 AF, with Sazh, Dajh, and Hope after leaving New Bodhum. He learns that Sazh and Dajh are leaving for the Gran Pulse-Cocoon commuter flight route, where Sazh now works. He later encounters a "cactuar school" in the Archylte Steppe, and he meets the fal'Cie Cactuar here.
- After the populace learned the truth about the Purge, PSICOM's reputation was ruined with its surviving members chased out of Cocoon and forced into exile in Gran Pulse's frontier lands, while their families suffer discrimination for being guilty by association.
- After Cocoon's fal'Cie enter hibernation, the Pulse fal'Cie that Fang explained to had branded people into l'Cie on sight lost interest in people.
fair & foul
- Palumpolum served as the base of operations and the new capital city after Eden's destruction in Cocoon's fall.
- The l'Cie's entire journey was recorded, except the events of the Fifth Ark, Gran Pulse, and Orphan's Cradle.
- The new provisional government's first action was publicizing the truth behind the "threat from Pulse" that led to the Purge as being Barthandelus's fabrication, helping dispel the people's hatred and fear of Pulse and convincing some to go there.
- The Sanctum's former leaders lost their power after the provisional government was formed.
- Vanille, Fang, and Lightning were hailed as heroes for sacrificing themselves to save Cocoon.
- The Academy was founded in 1 AF.
- Hope entered the Academy at age 17 in 3 AF, skipped several grades, and became its leader at age 19.
someday & somewhere
- Noel was the second-to-last child born at the end of days since Yeul was born after him. His mother died in childbirth and his father never returned after going hunting.
- Noel's grandmother raised him after his parents died and was the oldest person alive. She also taught him that because of Cocoon's fall, its crystal sand defiled the land, air, and water, causing many creatures and people to die.
- Fang and Vanille are referred to as "the Daughters of the Goddess".
- At the end of his journey, Noel's body becomes cold and unresponsive. He is close to death before his unwavering resolve to change the future causes Etro to bless him and send him to Valhalla to meet Lightning.
- Square-Enix E-store
- Brief summaries of the novel's chapters
- Fan translation in Google Documents
- Completed fan translation on mecorx's blog
- Fragments Before (Japanese) (Accessed: August 20, 2018) at Square Enix Gamebooks Online
- Fragments Before (English) (Accessed: August 13, 2019) at Yen Press
- Final Fantasy XIII-2 Fragmente - Der Anfang (German) (Accessed: August 21, 2018) at PaniniShop.de
- Final Fantasy XIII-2 Fragmente - Der Anfang (German) (Accessed: August 21, 2018) at Amazon.de
- Fragments Before (French) (Accessed: August 21, 2018) at Babelio
- Fragments Before (French) (Accessed: August 21, 2018) at Amazon.fr