Enough expository banter!
- Please sign and date your posts by typing four tildes (
~~~~) or five in a talk bubble.
- Put new text under old text. Click here to start a new topic.
- Please read our Conduct guideline. In a nutshell: be polite, assume good faith.
- For general non-wiki discussion on this topic, feel free to discuss on Discord or Discussions.
This is for discussing the nature of the DNC itself. If you would like to leave a nomination for the DNC, click here.
Are anonymous votes to be signed with ~~~~ as well? Edit
Header title.Some are signed, some aren't. But since unsigned votes don't count... do the unsigned anon votes not count?
Yes, unsigned anon votes don't count. TA removes all of them and the other "rule-breaking" votes when he tallies up the final score.
Signing votes is important as it helps tracking which votes were casted correctly: the same person could vote on the same character once in a week or so, and it would be kinda hard to know which ones are correct and which are none (yeah, I know about pages' story and all that). Yet, the same anon can cast vote on the same character having different IPs, so that's kinda a problem, too, but this we need to leave to those anons and their sense of good-and-wrong behaviour.—Kaimi (999,999 CP/5 TP) 20:43, January 14, 2012 (UTC)
Ah, thanks. I just noticed that almost all the anon votes are unsigned despite the message that said "you must do this whether you are a user or anonymous." Oh well.
This is one thing where the DNC could benefit from having more staff...or people managing it...sure anyone is able to edit it, but people may not feel "responsible" to do it, that it's not really their area.
After everything TA has said on numerous occasions about "Oh, I can run this by myself." and "Oh, I don't want help." and "Oh, it's not really a big deal that it's not updated in a timely manner each week because of [insert unnecessarily verbose excuse here].", do you think anyone would be in a big rush to give him a hand here?
I was looking at the logo for the DNC, and although I liked it I thought it was lacking in characters. There's not a very large range, and also it doesn't include newer characters from FFXIII and its sequel. So, I thought, maybe I'll throw together a logo and see what people think.
It's okay if it's not used, it didn't take all that long to make. I just thought that some people might appreciate a new logo is all. I might have gone a bit overboard adding characters... it's a tad crowded. But, any thoughts? 11:19, January 18, 2012 (UTC)
- It is a bit too crowded and Colosseum is spelt with one L. But I like how the text is on the forefront with Ultros hanging around in there. I think a good logo idea would actually be to have like a Colosseum type image on the background, plus the text and Ultros over it.Keltainentoukokuu 18:24, January 18, 2012 (UTC)EDIT: Like image of an actual arena I mean. :)Keltainentoukokuu 18:26, January 18, 2012 (UTC)
I've had another shot at it, this time with correct spelling. I don't know if it's still too crowded. 00:27, January 19, 2012 (UTC)
- I think that's really cool. :) Although..."dragon's" would have an apostrophe...Keltainentoukokuu 01:32, January 19, 2012 (UTC)
- My grammar skills leave something to be desired :P
- Easily fixed, though. 01:50, January 19, 2012 (UTC)
There we go, finally got the title correct! Thanks for the support, guys. Even if it's not used, I still had fun making it :) 01:58, January 19, 2012 (UTC)
SomeDudE X 02:02, January 19, 2012 (UTC)# I reckon its great. much better that the current logo
Yes, I did fear the same thing when I made it. If I had found sprites of FFVII - FFXII characters, I'd have added them, but unfortunately I don't know if there are any. But, thank you for the input. 02:33, January 20, 2012 (UTC)
- Some suggestions, don't know how viable they are: Sky Pirates' Den sprites, Squall appears as a cameo in FFVI PS loading menu, FFT has Cloud and Balthier...Keltainentoukokuu 03:05, January 20, 2012 (UTC)
How does this look? I've included Balthier and Penelo in the top right corner, sitting on the title. Squall is below the word "Colosseum" looking very unimpressed, as usual. And I even found a Final Fantasy V sprite of Sephiroth which I put below Garland. I would have added Cloud, but I don't think there's much room for him there. 03:45, January 20, 2012 (UTC)
- SomeDudE X 14:54, January 21, 2012 (UTC)Any idea on when this'll be finished? After giving the current logo some notice i have come to the conclusion that it dosn't really appeal to me anymore (almost looks depressing =/).
DNC Future Bureaucracy Edit
I thought that perhaps that there should be a committee of four, so that there someone doing an update every week. If someone can't update for some reason, there are three other people to cover for him/her, so the DNC will be updated every week. Perhaps there would be a wide range of people on the committee ranging from normal users to admins so that the Colosseum feels more community oriented.I also thought that the Last Man Standing feature could be a side thing that runs concurrently to the DNC. Since it works a little differently than "classic" DNC, I thought it might be better if it was a different thing, so to speak. Maybe the person who wins that week's fight in the DNC goes on to fight the defending champion in Last Man Standing? That gets rid of the slightly clumsy nomination process we have now that allows people to suggest fights for either opponent.
I like Scathe's suggestions on the number and variation of people in the committee. If one member is unable to update the DNC during his or her designated week, there should be an order in which the other members can step in to take that week (for example, the member who updated last week gets first dibs, followed by the member who oversees the week before that, or something similar) just for some organization. Unless the group can decide this informally, which it possibly can.For archive maintenance, the current system works fine, but I also think the list on Yuan's userpage should be copied into a DNC subpage for the committee to update.
My stance; Screw the bureaucracy. On the thread that (re)began this issue there's a list of users willing to manage the DNC. I think TA is more than welcome to add his name to the list. Every single issue pertaining the DNC can be easily solved with a few lines of discussion as opposed to having lengthy, week-long threads that aim to solve a bloody archiving issue.To do is to be. Enough with the schedule slips. This week's fight implies a 7-day period between fights and we shouldn't have to wait until it pleases anybody to chime in.
- "My name is Ultros the receptionist, and each week..."
- "... in an competition between the two combatants that week..."
- "Each archive contains 10 weeks of different fights."
JBed 23:07, January 24, 2012 (UTC)
A Wrong "Visual" Edit
In the fight between Kain and Fang, on the Fang's side it is written than Kain won by having 30.5 votes, yet Kain's side says he won with having 29.5 votes. I done some math and Fang's side is wrong. I would fix this, but I think I let the management "do the trick."—Kaimi (999,999 CP/5 TP) 09:41, February 22, 2012 (UTC)
Regarding Formating Edit
I'd like to make a mention of the current formatting. The yellow text is quite difficult to read on the lighter colours (Garnet's orange in the current battle, and the colours in the Kefka/Jecht battle)
Isn't this kindof stupid? Edit
- That's not always true. Some characters are't liked well even in a game with numerous fans (like Cait Sith), whereas some characters are liked well even in a game without a lot of fans (Gilgamesh, anyone?); on some level, though, yes; it's a fan poll, not a real and true combat, that's obviously going to find its way in. Is there a problem? Jimcloud 21:29, August 11, 2012 (UTC)
Collapsing Peanut Gallery Edit
I feel having the Peanut Gallery being collapsible is a good tool to implement when discussions get out of hand and it would be in our best interest to do so as to discourage more posting in those types of discussions. Week 208: Kuja VS Cloud is a good example of a time when we probably should have collapsed the PG, but most fights do not normally get that heated. As long as people aren't being completely inflammatory when leaving comments, I think we can leave it uncollapsed.
I think lengthiness does not really matter that much. It's not like anyone really cares for anything but the current fight, and the TOC takes them directly to the previous fight if they need it. So there's no problem with it being too long?
When discussion gets slightly out of hand? No, I don't think hiding the discussion underneath the carpet changes anything. Unless you want to discourage people from writing in it, but I don't think that's much of a problem either.
Like YouTube comments, people can read it if they want to. Hiding the entire thing doesn't solve the problem of a few individual flamers. 126.96.36.199 16:38, August 21, 2012 (UTC)
- If ever there comes a time where I think collapsing the peanut gallery is in the best interest of those involved, I'm going to do it. It might do jack all to stop the flame war, but all it is is essentially is a warning before the yellow cards get handed out, if that needs to happen. - +DeadlySlashSword+ 00:08, October 21, 2012 (UTC)
Oasis width is 660px. The image-cell width is 40%. The maths? 66*4 = 264.
Do not make the images wider than 260px (preferably a bit less, considering borders and stuff). And if you really want to make it wider, then offset that width via a negative margin in a div. JBed (talk) 16:59, May 29, 2013 (UTC)
DNC Committee Edit
This was brought up at one point but I think it needs to be put into practice. DNC currently runs fine, but I have a few proposals:
Well, you could probably be mentioned on the Committee as a guy who helps out, TacticAngel is mentioned as helping out but he doesn't update. I still thing we should remove DSS, since that implies he still updates, which he doesn't.