Can you become history's first SOLDIER?
Final Fantasy VII The First Soldier is an upcoming free-to-play battle royale multiplayer game for mobile phones set to release in 2021. Developed by Ateam Inc. and published by Square Enix, the game is set 30 years before the events of Final Fantasy VII, before SOLDIER was established.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Final Fantasy VII The First Soldier is a competitive action-shooter with RPG elements, where a sizeable group of players are placed in the same battlefield and must compete to be the last ones standing in large battles. The game allows players to enter these battles alone or in teams of three.
Battle system[edit | edit source]
The First Soldier mainly takes an over the shoulder, third-person perspective, following the player character as they fight using firearms, melee attacks and magic materia to fight other player characters, though firearms can also be fired down an "aim down sights" perspective, allowing more precise shots. Characters can ride Chocobos and motorcycles, as well as use Summon Materia to call forth summons to fight alongside them. Additionally, characters can magic such as Cure or Protect to heal teammates or defend themselves from incoming attacks, or place a gust of wind magic on the ground to allow themselves and others to reach higher areas.
Player characters are allowed to carry two firearms at the same time, which can be switched at any time, with three Materia slots, allowing for three types of Materia to be equipped to the weapon. An additional materia can be kept on the player character themself, allowing them to use the spell regardless of equipped firearm.
Characters can also carry different grades of Potions and Ethers, with one item being able to be quickly taken at the press of a button. MP is presented as small pips, with different spells requiring different amount of pips, with characters having up to 8 pips of MP.
The game also features RPG elements, where characters gather items and subdue monsters to strengthen themselves. Spells feature levels and firearms rarity types denoted by color, and classes use the series' traditional job system.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Set in Midgar 30 years before the events of Final Fantasy VII, The First Soldier follows SOLDIER cadets and the establishment of SOLDIER by the Shinra Electric Power Company to bolster their military. Due to the nature of the game, the story is said to not be very prominent.
Development[edit | edit source]
Tetsuya Nomura expressed interest in developing the battl royale total to broaden the series' appeal, believing that a long-running IP series' fan demographics tend to become fixed. His hope was that those in the core audience for battle royale games who are unfamiliar with Final Fantasy VII would develop an interest in its world through The First Soldier. As he himself lacked experience in the battle royale field, his role was limited to only "inexpert feedback" compared to the project's producer, Shoichi Ichikawa, who provided more expertise as a big player of battle royale and who Nomura could feel confident in making his own "reckless proposals" to knowing Ichikawa would keep them in check.
Final Fantasy VII The First Soldier was announced 25 February 2021 on Twitter, following the announcement of Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade on Sony Interactive Entertainment's digital presentation that same day.
Production credits[edit | edit source]
|Executive Producer||Yoshinori Kitase|
|Creative Director / Character design||Tetsuya Nomura|
|Scenario Supervisor||Kazushige Nojima|
|Development||Ateam Co., Ltd.|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Square Enix. Final Fantasy VII The First Soldier | SQUARE ENIX. Archived from the original on 26 February 2021.
- FINAL FANTASY (25 February 2021). FINAL FANTASY VII THE FIRST SOLDIER Teaser Trailer. YouTube.
- Weekly Famitsu (February 25, 2021). PS5『FF7 リメイク』＆スマホ『FF7』関連作を野村哲也氏にインタビュー。ユフィを使ったバトルやヴァイス登場の由来、PS5の機能の活用に迫る. Famitsu. Archived from the original on 26 February 2021.
- Matt Purslow (March 18, 2021). FF7: The First Soldier Hopes To Get Battle Royale Fans Into Final Fantasy. [[wikipedia:IGN|]]. Archived from the original on 26 February 2021.
- 25 February 2021. FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE on Twitter: "That's not all, we're also presenting two new mobile games! Here's @FinalFantasy VII The First Soldier - a battle royale game set in Midgar before the events of FFVII. As a SOLDIER candidate, make full use of your abilities in a battle for your survival.. Twitter.
- Square Enix. ファイナルファンタジーVII ザ ファーストソルジャー in 『ファイナルファンタジーVII リメイク インターグレード』発売決定＆予約開始！ | トピックス | SQUARE ENIX. Archived from the original on 26 February 2021.