The following is a list of stats in Final Fantasy IX. Stats applies to both party members and enemies. Party members' stats include their own base stat and the added stats of their weapon, armor and their add-on.
List of stats
Once a party member gains enough experience, they will level up. Increasing their level improves the damage the character does, and boosts most stats. It also plays an important role in many Blu Mag spells.
The HP stat shows how much health a character has left. Once it reaches zero, a character is KO'd. Party member HP is capped at 9999 while enemies are not.
A party member's HP (with no support abilities equipped) is determined as follows:
- $ HP = [Strength * HPMod(Level) / 50] $
in which HPMod(Level) is a table lookup that depends on level (for instance, HPMod(1) finds 250, HPMod (99) finds 4524). The full table is listed here.
The MP stat shows how many abilities a character can use. Most characters' skillset abilities, such as Skill, Blk Mag, Wht Mag and Swd Art require MP to cast. Party member MP is capped at 999 while enemies are not.
- $ If MP < (Summon MP Cost * 2), the chance of full animation is: $
- $ Rnd MOD 256 >= 170, use full animation $
- $ Otherwise, the chance of full animation is: $
- $ Rnd MOD 256 >= 230, use full animation $
A party member's MP is determined as follows:
- $ MP = [Magic * MPMod(Level) / 100] $
in which MPMod(Level) is a table lookup that depends on level (for instance, MPMod(1) finds 200, MPMod (99) finds 642). The full table is listed here.
The Speed stat determines how fast the Active Time Battle gauge of a unit fills up, before they can execute another move.
A party member's Speed is determined as follows:
- $ Speed = Speed Base + [Level * 1 / 10] + [Speed Bonus / 32] $
The damage dealt by physical attacks by party members is normally determined as follows:
- $ Base = Attack - Enemy Defense $
- $ Bonus = Strength + RndMOD ([(Level + Strength) / 8] + 1) $
- $ Damage = Base * Bonus $
However, this varies slightly depending on the weapon. For thief swords and knight swords, the bonus damage is also based on Spirit, while for rackets, the bonus damage is also based on Speed. For both forks and hammers, the damage calculated is still based on the Strength stat, but is modified more heavily by random chance, meaning it can either deal much more damage or much less.
A party member's Strength is determined as follows:
- $ Strength = Strength Base + [Level * 3 / 10] + [Strength Bonus / 32] $
The damage dealt by enemy's physical attacks is determined as follows:
- $ Base = Attack - Character Defense $
- $ Bonus = Strength + RndMOD ([(Level + Strength) / 4] + 1) $
- $ Damage = Base * Bonus $
Additional character abilities and enemy abilities may have their own damage formula.
The effect (damage dealt or health restored) of a magic spell (Blk, Wht or Summon) is determined as follows:
- $ Base = Spell Power - Target's Magic Def $
- $ Bonus = Magic ... [(Level + Magic) / 8] + Magic $
- $ Effect = Base * Bonus $
This formula changes when a summon only does half its animation:
- $ Damage = [((Base * Bonus) * 2) / 3] $
Some spells may have their own damage formula.
A party member's Magic is determined as follows:
- $ Magic = Magic Base + [Level * 3 / 10] + [Magic Bonus / 32] $
The Spirit stat affects various chances of a character's abilities. Higher Spirit improves the chances to Steal, Counter and deal critical damage. It also determines how long status effects remain and how quickly the Trance gauge fills.
The chance of an attack being a Critical Hit is determined as follows:
- $ If Rnd MOD [Spr / 4] > Rnd MOD 100, attack will critical $
- $ Spr >= Rnd MOD 100, you Counter $
If Eye 4 Eye is equipped, this becomes:
- $ (Spr * 2) >= Rnd MOD 100, you Counter $
Without Bandit equipped, the formula for Steal hitting a target is as follows:
- $ Attack = Rnd MOD (Level + Spirit) $
- $ Defense = Rnd MOD (Enemy Level) $
If Attack is equal or greater than Defense, Steal is a success. If Bandit is equipped, this step is ignored and Steal will always hit the target.
A party member's Spirit is determined as follows:
- $ Spirit = Spirit Base + [Level * 3 / 20] + [Spirit Bonus / 32] $
The Defense stat reduces the amount of damage received from a physical attack.
The Evade stat determines the ability to dodge a physical attack.
The Magic Defense stat reduces the amount of damage received from a magic attack.
The Magic Evade stat determines the ability to dodge a magic attack.
Party members have their own Magic Stones, which allow them to equip support abilities.
A party member's Magic Stones is determined as follows:
- $ Magic Stone = Magic Stone Base + [Level * 4 / 10] + [Magic Stone Bonus / 32] $
Awarded after battle, EXP will increase a characters' level.
Awarded after battle, AP allow the character to learn abilities of their equipment (weapon, armor or add-on).
HPMod and MPMod