"Equilibrium" (女神 ～女神ソフィア討滅戦～, Megami ~Megami Sofia Tōmetsusen~?, lit. Goddess ~Sophia the Goddess Showdown~) is a boss theme from Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward, introduced in Patch 3.4 for the battle against Sophia, the Goddess.
It is the 43rd track in The Far Edge of Fate: Final Fantasy XIV Original Soundtrack.
A full transcript of the lyrics was shown during the Lore & Localization panel at the Fan Festival 2016 in Las Vegas. According to Michael-Christopher Koji Fox, the lyrics describe a Meracydian family torn apart by war against the Allagans and Sophia's brand of "justice" and "balance": after the father is slain in battle by the Allagans ("A torn uniform in hand, farewells unsaid"), the mother becomes abusive ("Forsaken, beaten, tried, on her knees") and, at Sophia's request, the daughter murders the mother to restore the imbalance created by her father's death ("The heart seeketh equilibrium / With balance will your worry part"), and then commits suicide, punishing herself for murder and leaving their home empty and forgotten ("And therewith shoulder thee / One last step only leaving / An empty hearth down by the sea").
After the Fan Festival 2016 in Las Vegas, the lyrics were reposted on the Developers' Blog publicly but contain a difference for one of the lines, writing "An empty hearth dawn by the sea". In the song, the singer can be heard saying "down" and the booklet for the official soundtrack that was released later in June 2017 writes "An empty hearth down by the sea". Therefore, it can be inferred that the blog post has a typo.
- The sigh of the shifting sea
- The kiss of the salt-sweet breeze
- The white of her silken dress stained in red
- A memory fading fast,
- Her mother sits, eyes downcast
- A torn uniform in hand, farewells unsaid
- That once a certainty, lost in grief
- A daughter's desperate cries, unheard pleas
- Forsaken, beaten, tried, on her knees
- A prayer passes from her lips
- Into her soul the Goddess whispers:
- "A heartbeat without harmony
- Is moonlight without dark
- The heart seeketh equilibrium
- With balance will your worry part,
- "So still this broken melody
- And therewith shoulder thee
- One last step only leaving
- An empty hearth down by the sea
- An empty hearth down by the sea"
- Japanese translation
- 座り込む母 目は伏せて
- 手にするは破れた軍装 別れすら言わぬまま
- 確かなことが 悲嘆の内に失われ
- 娘の泣き声 聞き遂げられぬ想い
- 忘れられ 殴られ 試され 跪く
- そして 女神は彼女の魂に囁きかける
- 「さあ 乱れた旋律を静めよ
- さすれば残るは ひとつの重荷のみ
- 残るは 空っぽの海辺の家だけ
"Equilibrium" was performed by the Primals in a live concert.
Arrangement album appearances
A remix arranged by Masayoshi Soken was released for the album. The vocals were provided by Ayumi Murata.
A band arrangement of "Equilibrium" performed by the Primals appears in this album, with vocals provided by GUNN.
Equilibrium is the condition of a system in which competing influences are balanced, resulting in no net change.