"Equilibrium" (女神 ～女神ソフィア討滅戦～, Megami ~Megami Sofia Tōmetsu-sen~?, lit. Goddess ~Goddess Sophia Defeat Battle~) is a boss theme from Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward, introduced in Patch 3.4 for the battle against Sophia the Goddess. It was composed by Masayoshi Soken, with lyrics written by Michael-Christopher Koji Fox and vocals performed by Ayumi Murata.
Game appearances[edit | edit source]
This song plays in the second half of "Containment Bay P1T6" and "Containment Bay P1T6 (Extreme)".
Lyrics[edit | edit source]
A full transcript of the lyrics was shown at Fanfest Las Vegas 2016. According to Michael-Christopher Koji Fox, the lyrics describe a Meracydian family torn apart by war against the Allagans and Sophia's brand of "justice" and "balance": after the father is slain in battle by the Allagans ("A torn uniform in hand, farewells unsaid"), the mother becomes abusive ("Forsaken, beaten, tried, on her knees") and, at Sophia's request, the daughter murders the mother to restore the imbalance created by her father's death ("The heart seeketh equilibrium / With balance will your worry part"), and then commits suicide, punishing herself for murder and leaving their home empty and forgotten ("And therewith shoulder thee / One last step only leaving / An empty hearth down by the sea").
- The sigh of the shifting sea
- The kiss of the salt-sweet breeze.
- The white of her silken dress stained in red
- A memory fading fast
- Her mother sits, eyes downcast
- A torn uniform in hand, farewells unsaid
- That once a certainty, lost in grief
- A daughter's desperate cries, unheard pleas
- Forsaken, beaten, tried, on her knees
- A prayer passes from her lips
- Into her soul the Goddess whispers:
- "A heartbeat without harmony
- Is moonlight without dark
- The heart seeketh equilibrium
- With balance will your worry part"
- "So still this broken melody
- And therewith shoulder thee
- One last step only leaving
- An empty hearth down by the sea
- An empty hearth down by the sea"
Etymology[edit | edit source]
Equilibrium is the condition of a system in which competing influences are balanced, resulting in no net change.