I'm afraid the jury's still out on that one.
Conqueror's Duty is a time-limited event where Vayne from Final Fantasy XII can be added to Mog's group of warriors. This paralogue of the main scenario may include characters not yet recruited by the player.
Depending on your progress in the story, characters you have yet to recruit may appear in these events.
- The Emperor: So you, too, are siding with them? Those worthless worms...
- Vayne: How to keep the peace is an integral part in the upbringing of the men of House Solidor.
- Vayne: Those who stand above exist for those below them.
- Vayne: We must now reassess our duties with the crystal core of light gone.
(Vayne exits into a Torsion)
- The Emperor: Hmph... What role has duty when one has dominion?
- Firion: This looks like the place where we met Cait Sith and the others.
- Onion Knight: It must have been created based on someone's home.
- Vaan: It feels...imperial...
- Ashe: It seems places like this are normal in other worlds.
- Vaan: Normal, huh...
(Vayne emerges from a Torsion)
- Mog: Why are you here, kupo!?
- Vayne: I understand you're distrustful of me.
- Ashe: What are you doing here, Vayne!?
- Vayne: ...I would like you to think of my appearance as my way of showing you my resolve.
- Vayne: If we continue to focus on our petty grudges, we will all miss out on the larger problem at hand.
- Vayne: However, I do not expect you to readily comprehend my meaning.
- Onion Knight: Well, of course not. You need to tell us what you're talking about first before we can understand it.
- Firion: But considering how things got this way, it might not be easy...
- Vaan: Like we could ever see eye to eye!
- Vaan: We don't have to listen to you!
- Vayne: My aim is to protect my home, nothing more.
- Ashe: Do you know how much blood has been shed for that very reason!?
- Vayne: Not just the boy, but the princess, too... I suppose we cannot talk like civilized people with all that blood rushing to your head.
- Vayne: Be that as it may...
- Vayne: I'm afraid I must insist on you seeing the larger problem looming above us.
- Vayne: And to that aim, I will first give you the fight you want.
- Vaan: You'll pay for what you've done, Vayne!
(Vayne attacks Ashe with Mach Wave)
- Vaan: Ashe! Are you okay?
- Onion Knight: Is this your way of insisting? Just what is your purpose here?
- Vayne: I've already told you: I must protect my home.
- Vayne: This is for that purpose alone.
- Firion: Mog, summon our allies.
- Mog: I'm on it, kupo!
- Onion Knight: I thought you were here to talk...but if it's a fight you want, it's a fight you'll get!
- Vayne: I wouldn't have it any other way. Show me what you can do.
- Vayne: I will discern for myself whether your strength is of any use to me.
- Vaan: Urgh!
- Balthier: Can you stand?
- Vaan: Just what do you want!?
- Vayne: I have already obtained what I want.
- Onion Knight: What do you mean? Are you going to run away again?
- Vayne: Spirit moogle. These are my dimensional coordinates.
- Mog: You mean you'll be our ally, kupo!?
- Vayne: Call me freely should the need arise.
- Vaan: Just what are you scheming!?
- Vayne: I no longer wish to play puppet to the gods.
- Vaan: Answer the question!
- Cait Sith: Let's settle down a bit, Vaan, hm?
- Vaan: Why? Do you know something, Cait Sith?
- Cait Sith: No. But if you won't let Vayne explain, none of us will ever know.
- Vaan: I see... So he hasn't even told you.
- Vayne: I have discerned this: the danger present in this world is a threat to Ivalice.
- Vayne: However, despite the shattering of the crystal core of light, everything here remains unchanged.
- Vayne: How things fare in our own worlds is yet a mystery to me.
- Onion Knight: Materia said the crystal core of darkness is sustaining the world...for now.
- Vayne: I am looking for the crystal core of darkness.
- Vayne: I cannot grasp the size of the threat looming over my homeworld. It is an unfortunately grave state of affairs.
- Vayne: We need more information before we decide a course of action.
- Vayne: The fight against you earlier was a test of your strength. Of course, I leave the choice to call me to your discretion.
- Vayne: But I am not your enemy. Nor am I your ally. However, this arrangement works to our mutual advantage.
- Cait Sith: You certainly are a lad who loves his world. Even coming this far for it...
- Onion Knight: It doesn't exactly feel pleasant, but...I've got a friend like him.
- Vaan: I can't accept this. I know he'll just get in our way again.
- Vaan: Throw those coordinates away, Mog. I refuse to fight alongside him.
- Balthier: That's enough, Vaan. We're not throwing anything away.
- Balthier: His Majesty went out of his way to present us a gift. We ought to accept it.
- Mog: In that case, I'll hold onto it...
- Vayne: It will be an honor to be of service.
- Balthier: Don't think this means we like it, though.
- Vayne: It matters not to me. I wholeheartedly accept your hatred. I use my powers for Ivalice, not for the sake of friendship.
- Vayne: But there are objectives I cannot fulfill with those summoned by Spiritus.
- Vayne: Which is why I offer my power to you, in exchange for information.
- Balthier: Understand that we're not the ones being used. You are.
- Vayne: Then I pray you use my power well.
(Vayne exits via Torsion)
(The party approaches Vaan and Ashe)
- Balthier: Is it so hard for you to accept Vayne's help?
- Vaan: Of course it is! Why isn't it for you?
- Ashe: Vayne is our enemy. It's not like we can readily fight alongside him...
- Cait Sith: Hmm... Think of it as insurance.
- Balthier: Yes, I suppose that's one way to think about it.
- Penelo: What do you mean?
- Cait Sith: Vayne's goal is clear.
- Cait Sith: If we do nothing about the disorder in this world, it could affect our homes.
- Cait Sith: And if harm is done to our homeworlds, then...
- Cait Sith: This world and all the warriors within it could be erased.
- Cait Sith: Or at least that's what he told me before.
- Vaan: We can't let that happen...
- Balthier: Then you understand. The time to put that grudge to pasture is now at hand.
- Balthier: We have his dimensional coordinates, which means we know where he is.
- Balthier: It's better than not knowing, correct?
- Ashe: Even so... It's hard to just put all that history behind us...
- Cait Sith: Spiritus's warriors always have all our info, so all the more reason to put it behind you.
- Vincent: Information even they can't know...
- Balthier: After all, it's not like they'll come together to decide their next move.
- Vincent: Indeed. Our enemies move alone. And we'll have more options if we can keep an eye on them.
- Vincent: Cait Sith... You're acquainted with him.
- Cait Sith: You got the right of it, Vincent!
- Cait Sith: I'll keep my eyes on the man! Just leave it to Cait Sith!
- Cait Sith: I know how politicians like him work.
- Penelo: Still, I can't help but worry...
- Vaan: ......
- Vincent: Don't force yourselves to accept it. The fact that he's an enemy won't change.
- Balthier: As does the fact that our troubles never cease to multiply.
- Balthier: Nevertheless, we'll keep an eye on Vayne while saving the world. Playing the leading man was never an easy job.
- Cait Sith: We know that your feelings toward him aren't wrong. But leave it to me. I'll find out his true intentions.
- Vaan: ...Thanks.
Conqueror's Duty Pt. 1Edit
Conqueror's Duty Pt. 2Edit
Conqueror's Duty Pt. 3Edit
Conqueror's Duty Pt. 4Edit
Conqueror's Duty Pt. 5Edit
Conqueror's Duty Co-opEdit
Conqueror's Duty EXEdit
Conqueror's Duty COSMOSEdit
- Serah was added as a boosted character in the Global version due to the introduction of her exclusive 2★ artifact passives, which were added in an earlier event in the Japanese version.