Final Fantasy Wiki
Advertisement
Final Fantasy Wiki

The Circlet is the ultimate mystic headgear in Final Fantasy XII that boosts the wearer's Magick Resist by 60, Magick Power by 10, and—unusually for a mystic armor piece—Strength by 2. In the Zodiac versions, it also gives 151 MP.

Obtain[]

Original[]

In the original PlayStation 2 version, the Circlet is found as a treasure in Pharos - Third Ascent Spire Ravel - 2nd Flight. It is in the north and middle of the first map of the Third Ascent, behind a fool's façade. Map 31 Pharos First Ascent The treasure has a 55% chance to appear, and without the Diamond Armlet is always the Circlet. With the Diamond Armlet, it has a 90% chance of being the Ring of Renewal. The chest does not respawn.

It can also be found in Subterra Abyssal - South. Map 34 Pharos Subterra It has a 50% chance to appear. Without the Diamond Armlet, it is the Circlet, but with it, it is a Knot of Rust. The chest does not respawn. If the player opens both chests without getting the Circlet, it is impossible to get in that playthrough.

Zodiac[]

In the updated Zodiac versions, the Circlet is not sold in shops, but sells for 10,000 gil. It is a treasure in Henne Mines' Phase 2 Dig (always appears), and in Cerobi Steppe's Crossfield (20% chance to appear, 80% chance for gil, 5% chance the item treasure is the Circlet with the Diamond Armlet equipped). It is also the rare steal from Zeromus in Trial Mode Stage 81 and the uncommon steal from Judge Ghis in Stage 100. Spoils from the final stage cannot be brought back to the main game, even in The Zodiac Age versions.

Use[]

Circlet is the ultimate mystic hat, giving 60 Magick Resist, 10 Magick Power, and 2 Strength, as well as 151 MP in the Zodiac versions. Mystic armor offer magick-related bonuses that affect all types of magickal actions, from casting black magick to damage an enemy, to casting white magick to heal the party. Magick Power is also a factor when determining damage dealt by katana, staves, and maces. The Strength bonus affects damage for anyone who attacks physically that doesn't use the gun damage formula.

In the Zodiac versions, White Mage, Red Battlemage, Black Mage, and Bushi can equip it, and so the Circlet is only useful to look for if the player has chosen any of these License Boards for their party. In The Zodiac Age versions, after fighting Belias the player can choose two License Boards per party member; it is usually a good idea to pair jobs that use two different types of armor for versatility.

The Circlet is a good endgame equipment piece for a spellcaster, however, it can be harder to get than the preceding Golden Skullcap, which offers as much Magick Power and only slightly less Magick Resist, and so the player may opt to not bother upgrading if they already have the skullcap. However, in the Zodiac versions, the MP increase over the skullcap is substantial. The Circlet's small Strength increase can be useful for White and Red Mages using greatswords, or for the Bushi wielding a katana. However, Red Battlemage and Bushi can also unlock some high-tier heavy armor with Espers that are better at elevating damage.

The Black Mage can also unlock some heavy armor with Espers, but does not unlock any good weapons to make use of that stat; keeping them with staves that boost elemental damage and using spells deals superior damage than hand-bombs or physically attacking with the staves. Therefore, to a Black Mage, the preceding Golden Skullcap can be better than the Circlet, as they offer the same 10 to Magick Power, whereas the Circlet offers the likely-not-useful 2 to Strength, and the Golden Skullcap offers 3 to Speed, which could, very slightly, help with Charge Time.

Etymology[]

A circlet is a crown with neither arches nor a cap (internal covering).

Advertisement