The Circle of Knowing is a group of twelve researchers and scholars known as Archons in Final Fantasy XIV. The group was founded by Louisoix Leveilleur dedicated to the salvation of Eorzea. The members of the Circle of Knowing are prominent figures in the Main Scenario quests and Seventh Umbral Era storyline in original Final Fantasy XIV. The Warrior of Light would interact with different members depending on which nation they created their character in, and which Grand Company they chose. This determines which member of the Circle defends the Warrior when he or she is later attacked by Gaius van Baelsar.
- Louisoix, who is involved in the primal quests and leads the group.
- Y'shtola, who interacts with the Warrior of Light who starts in Limsa Lominsa and joins the The Maelstrom.
- Yda, who interacts with the Warrior of Light who starts in Gridania and joins The Order of the Twin Adder.
- Papalymo, who is paired with Yda for scenes in Gridania and with the Twin Adder.
- Thancred, who interacts with the Warrior of Light who starts in Ul'dah and joins The Immortal Flames.
- Urianger, who crosses paths with the Warrior of Light at some point during their journey, and is involved in some of the temporary Seventh Umbral Era content for Lodestone achievements.
- Moenbryda, an expert in aetheric research.
- Rammbroes, an anthropogeographer.
In the quest "Of Archons and Muses," it is said that the Archons are the manifestations of The Twelve. Louisoix's staff bears the mark of Thaliak, and there is mention of a Roegadyn Archon who lived during the Sixth Astral Era named Ahldbhar, the incarnation of Rhalgr.
Final Fantasy XIV LegacyEdit
During the Sixth Astral Era, an Archons group appeared to fight the calamity. They helped evacuate city-states and influenced the original formation of Grand Companies. Despite that some believe the Archons either caused or rectified the Sixth Umbral Era 1500 years ago.
Tired of the war and unhappy with the Forum's unwillingness to intervene, Louisoix Leveilleur promised to take matters into their own hands by more clandestine means. He met in silence with twelve of his pupils and formed the Circle of Knowing with the goal of saving Eorzea. Louisoix knew that to deter the threat of a Garlean invasion, they would have to warn the Eorzean Alliance. Louisoix sent his fellow Archons to the three city-states, hoping to convince one of their respective leaders to re-establish the Grand Companies—consolidated command centers that combine military, economic and technological resources to prepare for the next disaster.
Y'shtola, Yda, Papalymo, and Thancred arrive late to fight Gaius when he attempts to kill the Warrior of Light, though he easily defeats them and the Warrior.
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm RebornEdit
After the Seventh Umbral Era and Louisoix's death, the surviving members of the Circle of Knowledge merged with the Path of the Twelve into a new organization, the Scions of the Seventh Dawn, and made it their goal to restore the world.