Chocobos the player rents in Final Fantasy XV can be customized at the Chocobo Salon operated by Camilla next to the chocobo pens at Wiz Chocobo Post. The player can customize each of the four chocobos the main party rides, but not Iris Amicitia's.
The player can name Noctis's bird. The default is "Chocobo". The limit is 16 characters.
There are 30 colors the player can dye their chocobos with. Each party member's bird can be customized independently. The regular and white are the default colors, and more are unlocked by doing quests for Wiz and by collecting pears hidden during chocobo races. The pears are off the beaten track, so the player won't win the race after collecting them; it may be faster to run to the edge of the race boundary to get disqualified than finish.
Medals can be won from chocobo races. The player can decorate their chocobo with up to four racing medals at once. All four slots must have a different medal. There are nine medals the player can acquire.
- Replica Medal: Complete the "A Behemoth Undertaking" hunt, opening the chocobo rental service
- Short Course Medal: Chocobo Hoops: Grange Gallop (Chapter 5+)
- Long Course Medal: Chocobo Hoops: Rocky Road (Chapter 6+)
- Rounsey Medal: Win against Prompto
- Destria Medal: Win against Gladiolus
- Corsa Medal: Win against Ignis
- Fat Chocobo Medal: Win the Full Field race
- Jennet Medal: Win against Iris (Chapter 8+)
- Jockey Master Medal: Earn all other medals
- Though black chocobos appear as a rare variant of the regular chocobo, the player cannot dye their chocobos black. The closest is gray.