Cerberus is a genus of enemies in Final Fantasy XI.
The Cerberus is a giant three-headed beast. Extremely rare in Vana'diel, the first sighting of this beast was in Halvung, home of the Troll mercenaries. Highly aggressive, even being able to detect adventurers who are hidden under the Invisible status, Cerberus attack through their use of massive paws, flailing tail and toxic breath attacks. Almost all Cerberus attacks are fire-based, and they are most notorious for their devastating Gates of Hades attack, which scorches everyone around them and leaves them to suffer with burns.
All Cerberus in Final Fantasy XI are either Notorious Monsters or encountered only in battlefields.
Variants[edit | edit source]
Orthrus - Orthrus is a Cerberus variant first encountered in Abyssea.
Special abilities[edit | edit source]
- Gates of Hades: Powerful AoE Fire damage and strong Burn effect.
- Lava Spit: Short-ranged targeted AoE Fire damage.
- Magma Hoplon: Stoneskin & Blaze Spikes effect.
- Scorching Lash: Heavy damage AoE attack. Used only when attacking with its tail.
- Sulfurous Breath: Breath Attack Fire damage.
- Ululation: Wide-ranged AoE Paralyze.
- Acheron Flames: Extreme AoE Fire damage and strong Burn effect (Orthrus only).
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Etymology[edit | edit source]
Cerberus is a three-headed dog that guards the underworld's gates in Greek mythology.