The main gate of Ul'dah opens up to the desolate wastes that comprise central Thanalan. Caravans laden with goods can be seen passing through the area, as can tired refugees lacking even their daily bread. This is a place that strikes a stark contrast between those who have naught, and those who want for naught.
- 1 Story
- 2 Locations
- 3 Places of interest
- 4 Gathering
- 5 Sightseeing Log
- 6 Quests
- 7 Elite Marks
- 8 Musical themes
- 9 Gallery
Story[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
Central Thanalan lies directly north of Ul'dah. It connects to Eastern Thanalan in the northeast, to Southern Thanalan in the southeast, to Western Thanalan in the west, and to Northern Thanalan in the north. Access to the city-state is available through the Gates of Nald and Thal.
Aetherytes[edit | edit source]
The only Aetheryte is located at Black Brush Station, in the upper center of the map.
Areas[edit | edit source]
Central Thanalan contains the following areas:
- Spineless Basin - A field along the eastern edge of the city-state walls.
- Black Brush - The central region of the zone.
- The Clutch - A watering hole to the northeast.
Settlements[edit | edit source]
Black Brush Station[edit | edit source]
A marvel of modern innovation, the steam engine has transformed the mining industry, increasing efficiency and profits thrice over. It has also led to the transformation of what was once a thinly manned aetheryte outpost into a thriving crossroads of labor and commerce—a new pillar to support the thriving Ul'dahn economy.
Originally a basic aetheryte camp, the construction of a rail line for transporting mining results gave it a new form and function.
Weather[edit | edit source]
Central Thanalan's semi-arid climate may exhibit any of the following weather conditions:
Places of interest[edit | edit source]
Sultantree[edit | edit source]
Ul'dah Dispatch Yard[edit | edit source]
The southernmost station of Ul'dah's rail line, located next to the Royal Plantations.
Sil'dih Excavation Site[edit | edit source]
The site of the ruins of Sil'dih, destroyed in a bitter feud with its sister nation of Ul'dah.
The Coffer & Coffin[edit | edit source]
A tavern just south of Black Brush Station. Triple Triad can be played at this establishment.
Cutter's Cry[edit | edit source]
The Bonfire[edit | edit source]
It is the only place where Materia transmutation can be done. By talking to Mutamix, players can transmute 5 Materias into one, though this is a complete random process, so the result can be a better Materia or a worst one.
Quiveron Manse[edit | edit source]
The former estate of a member of the Syndicate who perished during the Calamity. Now home to Lalafellin bandits.
Nanawa Mines[edit | edit source]
Gathering[edit | edit source]
- Ephemeral Node (25-15) 7:00 a.m. - (Slots 1, 6, 7, 8)
- Upper Soot Creek (23-18) - Freshwater
- Lower Soot Creek (16-23) - Freshwater
- The Clutch (29-21) - Freshwater
- The Unholy Heir (27-19) - Freshwater
Sightseeing Log[edit | edit source]
- 017 - The Ruins of Sil'dih (15-22) 08:00 ~ 12:00 Emote: /lookout
- 053 - Black Brush Station (21-17) 18:00 ~ 05:00 Emote: /lookout
- 054 - Gate of Nald (18-26) 12:00 ~ 17:00 Emote: /sit
Quests[edit | edit source]
Duties[edit | edit source]
- Cutter's Cry - Level 38
- Near an old mountain path once used by Sixth Astral Era woodcutters as a detour through the more perilous stretches of northern Thanalan, lies a cave sought out only by the ignorant or the foolish. Upon first glance, the shade of its maw might appear inviting to one who seeks to escape the punishing rays of the midday sun. However, any good woodcutter knows to keep his distance, for it is said all who enter, never return - the cries of the damned echoing up from the depths the only testament to their folly. Heed this dire warning, and you may live. Ignore it, and soon it shall be your screams that add to the cacophony.
FATEs[edit | edit source]
Slay enemies[edit | edit source]
- Like an Eft out of Water (21-23) - Level 5
- Drawn by the sumptuous scent of roasting meat and hot mulled wine, efts have crawled out from the muddy flats of their normal habitat to dine at nearby cookfires. Slay a few and the kindly cooks shall roast up a few for their starveling sons.
- Survivor Rats (18-20) - Level 6
- A band of Qiqirn bandits has left its camp in search of fresh prey, and the Brass Blades are bent on seeing the beastmen's efforts end in failure. All aid provided by adventurers will be noted and duly rewarded.
- Big Time (15-22) - Level 7
- Fear of being pummeled by sledgehammer beaks is preventing miners from delivering their ore to assayers in Ul'dah. The Brass Blades seek help in clearing the Royal Allagan Starway of any and all threats.
- For the Queen (19-15) - Level 9
- Giant antling sentries are on the march, most likely in search of Lalafellin children to snatch up and take back to their queen. Slay the vilekin before they catch the scent of a plump, innocent morsel.
- Orobon Part Two The Spawning (29-20) - Level 14
- A poor boy whose father was eaten by an orobon (yes, an orobon) has sworn bloody revenge against the terrible wavekin who rendered him a starveling orphan. While it won't bring his father back, the indiscriminate slaying of random orobon may just help restore the sparkle in the young boy's eyes.
Boss[edit | edit source]
- Something to Prove (21-23) - Level 5
- Ever since being denied entry into the Pugilists', Gladiators', Lancers', Marauders', and Archers' Guilds, Grishild the Ungood has taken to challenging anyone and everyone to duels, hoping to prove her detractors wrong. Or perhaps she's simply a masochist.
- A Warm Welcome (18-23) - Level 7
- Descended from Coerthas in search of warm stones, a spriggan known in the north as Spitfire is terrorizing the local smallfolk and hoarding precious ores and gems intended for sale to the Goldsmiths' Guild. Give the crafty creature a good cuffing and send him on his way back home.
- Cracked (17-19) - Level 9
- As his colorful moniker suggests, notorious Qiqirn bandit Babaroon Halfshell prefers his prey firm on the outside and runny on the inside─something to keep in mind when he has you in an iron cookpot, boiling over an open flame. Now get cracking before he grows hungry.
- Leaving the Nest (17-15) - Level 12
- The nest commander─a giant antling from Hellsbrood Holes─is out hunting again. Volunteers are wanted to see the violent vilekin slain.
- Cold-blooded (28-19) - Level 14
- A terrible monster, known as Vodyanoi, living in the pools beneath the Unholy Heir has been seen dragging his victims into the water, where he lies upon them until they asphyxiate. One would think that the wavekin then eats his prey, but such is not the case, as the corpses are left to drift in the pools until they are consumed by jackals and carrion crows. Could it be that Vodyanoi kills merely for pleasure!?
Defense[edit | edit source]
- Wrecked Rats (19-20) - Level 7
- Cockeyed Qiqirns denied entry to the Coffer & Coffin have not taken the news well and are causing trouble for the heavy who was hired to keep characters like these from causing trouble. Lend the poor lad a hand in helping the beastmen sober up.
Gather items[edit | edit source]
- Let them Eat Cactus (23-16) - Level 5
- Appalled that the displaced souls living in the shantytowns beneath the towering city walls of Ul'dah are driven to eat rat tails and coblyn legs just to survive, the sultana has ordered her subjects to procure edible cactus leaves and distribute them to the starving masses.
- A Few Arrows Short of a Quiver (23-20) - Level 11
- The summer home of Eolande Quiveron─former Syndicate member, before tragically losing her life in the Calamity─has been occupied by thieving bandits, one even claiming, in fact, to be the noble lady's heir. Rumor has it the bandits use the run-down manor to hide their booty, and a merchant is seeking aid in recovering his stolen goods.
Guildhests[edit | edit source]
- Hero on the Halfshell - Level 15
- Wealthy noble Teledji Adeledji has had his prized pet, a rare gil turtle, kidnapped by ruthless bandits who seek a sizable ransom for the gentle wavekin's return. Always a man of principle, Teledji Adeledji has decided that instead of caving to the bandit's demands, he will offer the ransom to anyone who can safely retrieve his pet from the clutches of evil. After weakening the gil turtle, slay fire sprites and use their cores to light a special herb on fire. The smoke released should be powerful enough to put the creature to sleep, but only if the turtle is close enough to the flames.
Other[edit | edit source]
Elite Marks[edit | edit source]
Musical themes[edit | edit source]
The theme that plays during the day is titled To The Sun, while the theme that plays during the night is titled Fleeting Rays.
The theme that plays in settlements is titled The Gift Of Life.