Clan Primer Edit
Hunt 30: Paying for the Past Edit
- Saw bill posted for the hunting of the Catoblepas (Rank VI). The petitioner is War-chief Supinelu in the Lull of the Land in Jahara.
- Hunt accepted. The Catoblepas is War-chief Supinelu's sworn enemy. It is to be found in Zertinan Caverns.
- Catoblepas defeated with War-chief Supinelu's assistance. Receive your reward in the Lull of the Land in Jahara.
- Reward received. War-chief Supinelu rejoices that the Catoblepas is no more. He has taken his revenge on the creature that once wounded his brother.
Bestiary entry Edit
- A Tyrant among Behemoths, possessed of evil, red Eyes. Such who face it are consumed with fear upon meeting its Glare, their bodies becoming as Stone with their Terror. A Garif who fought the Catoblepas long ago and lived to tell of his Failure posted a Bill for this Mark.
|Haste||HP <50% (25%)|
|Protect||HP <50% (25%)|
|Smite of Rage||HP >50% (5%)|
HP <50% (25%)
|Ram||Use all battle (25%)|
|Tail Swipe||HP >50% (5%)|
HP <50% (25%)
|Wail||HP <20%; used once (100%)|
|Normal Damage+||When HP <50%|
How to find Edit
Catoblepas is located at the eastern part of Hourglass Basin, in its hidden area.
Once in Hourglass Basin, the player must use the south exit to the Undershore, then use the secret path located after the save crystal, reaching Hourglass Basin's secret area, where War-chief Supinelu will be waiting.
Catoblepas's attacks are similar to Behemoth-class enemies', only harder and faster—dealing 3,000–3,500 damage. It can inflict the party with statuses with Wail that it uses when it hits HP Critical. This is the time the player should finish it quick as chain attacks become more common.
Reaching the save crystal near the Zertinan Caverns' secret pathway, it would be wise to cast as many buffs as possible on the party, War-Chief Supinelu included. Traps are scattered in some spots, making Float almost as useful as Haste. The party should begin with Dispel and debuffs on Catoblepas before charging in to attack.
War-Chief Supinelu should be casting magicks, but he can dish out a few physical attacks occasionally, although his physical attacks are weak. Catoblepas's powerful blows can easily bring down one of the party, if they are not high level enough, but Bubble can greatly improve their survival rate.
Catoblepas (from the Greek expression καταβλέπω katablépō meaning "to look downwards") is a legendary creature from Ethiopia, described first by Pliny the Elder and later by Claudius Aelianus. It is said to have the body of a buffalo and the head of a wild boar. Its back has scales that protect the beast, and its head is always pointing downwards due to its head being heavy. Its stare or breath could either turn people into stone, or kill them.