I couldn't miss the chance to practice my drawing!
Bozja is a land in Final Fantasy XIV, located in the southern reaches of Ilsabard, to the west of Dalmasca. Over 30 years ago, Bozja was conquered by the Garlean Empire, making it a province under their control. Bozja is the homeland of the Hrothgar people, and is also known to be home to Hyur and Roegadyn.
History[edit | edit source]
According to some of the earliest records, its suggested that Bozja was founded during the Third Astral Era. The Allagan Empire had reached the height of its power, and several Hrothgar tribes came seeking refuge from their supremacy. It wouldn't be until Queen Gunnhildr had appeared that the Allagans were held at bay. Under her leadership the Hrothgar rose to prosperity and the nation of Bozja was founded.
Unfortunately, this would not last as the Fourth Umbral Calamity ended the kingdom. Despite this, survivors slowly rebuilt and Bozja was reborn as a city-state that would coexist with neighboring nations for centuries to come. Bozja wasn't entirely prosperous, however, as its spiraling slums were filled with the homeless. The ruling nobles and merchant families held the lion's share of the nation's wealth, seven out of ten earned less than half the average income while one in three lived in squalor.
Garlemald's rise to power changed everything for Bozja and its people. None could oppose the sheer strength and versatility of the Garlean military, with the IVth Imperial Legion leading the invasion. Their campaign began some fifty years ago, and though the people of Bozja fought hard they were ultimately subjugated by the Garleans. Though Bojza's economy improved somewhat since it became an imperial province, homeless children remained a common sight in the major cities.
The Bozja Incident[edit | edit source]
In the year 1562 of the Sixth Astral Era, Bozja Citadel came to host the Empire's Project Meteor, led by premier Garlean scientist Midas nan Garlond. The Garleans had discovered the lesser moon Dalamud was not a natural celestial body, but an Allagan satellite. Nan Garlond surmised that within the moon slumbered a massive amount of untapped energy. With the Empire's attempted conquest of Eorzea stymied by their defeat in the Battle of Silvertear Skies, nan Garlond proposed Dalamud as an alternative method of conquest by pulling the moon down on the Eorzeans' heads like the Empire's own meteor.
Garlond sought contact with Dalamud, using an Allagan lunar transmitter donated by House Darnus. When the scientist communicated with Dalamud, its power was confirmed at a terrible cost, as nearly five thousand years' worth of pent-up energy was directed at the transmission tower. The beam was so intense that the entire surrounding city of Bozja was also vaporized in an instant, killing Midas nan Garlond and all of the city's inhabitants.
The Empire tried to cover-up the event, but the destruction of a major commercial center was too big to hide, and news of the catastrophe soon spread across Hydaelyn and became known as the Bozja Incident, though the details behind it remained sealed to those outside the imperial command for years. Despite the catastrophe and the loss of Midas nan Garlond, Nael van Darnus would continue the project five years later, paving the way for the Calamity.
Resistance[edit | edit source]
Years later, following the both the Incident and the Calamity, when word reached to the people of Bozja that Ala Mhigo and Doma had risen up to defy the Empire and achieved liberation, they seized the opportunity to flee and form pockets of resistance. With Lord Hien's assistance, the several groups that had formed merged into a single, cohesive force, the Bozjan Resistance, with Bajsaljien chosen as its leader.
Areas[edit | edit source]
- The Bozjan Southern Front is the main battleground between the Bozjan Resistance and IVth Legion. It is the site of the ruins of the capital city, destroyed in the Bozja Incident.
- Bozja Citadel was the former palace of Bozja until it was destroyed 15 years ago years ago by the Bozja Incident. All that is left now is Firelight's Coffin, a crystallized crater visible from the Bozjan Southern Front.
- Castrum Lacus Litore, formerly known as Alermuc Fortress, is in the north of the Bozjan Southern Front. It is surrounded on all sides by steep cliffs. Alermuc means "eagle" in the Bozjan language, while Lacus Litore means "lakeside" in Garlean.
- Delubrum Reginae is the underground ruins of an ancient palace, located in a vast cavern beneath the Bozjan Southern Front.
- Dirbenc is a remote region of Bozja.
- Gangos is a wetland on Bozja's southern coast used as the base of operations for the Bozjan Resistance.
- Martrvje is a Bozjan port city home to 200,000 inhabitants. While it attracts laborers from all around for the promise of employment, it also has many homeless and orphans.
- Volod, on the western shore of the lake Igalj Kelo (meaning "mirror of water" in Old Bozjan), was an outpost where the Bozjan Resistance mustered their forces in secret until they were one day rooted out by Garlemald.
- Zadnor is in the northeast of Bozja, on the border with Dalmasca.
- Zetina's Grace is several malms north of Martrvje, past gently sloping hills and beyond a massive ancient wall. It is a small village nestled between two hills and the location of the Verdant Path, an illustrious Bozjan martial arts school. It was once a Bozjan shrine.