Black Flan is an enemy in Final Fantasy XV found in Insomnia, Crestholm Channels, and the Keycatrich Trench maze. It can also be encountered in the Mission: Invincible hunt and the World of Ruin main quest.
Final Fantasy XV: The Complete Official Guide has details for a level 14 version of the enemy supposedly encountered in Crestholm and Keycatrich, but all Black Flan encountered are the level 38 version. The level 14 version may have been dummied out.
- A shadowy curse in the channels of Crestholm. In addition to the flan's intrinsic resilience against physical attacks, the black flan has been burnt, frozen, and zapped into a colorless, flavorless mess resistant to all known elements.
- Size: 14.69 ft. Weight: 34.18 t
- A vicious umbral entity drained into the Vesperpool through the Crestholm Channels. This vile version of the common black flan leaves a bitter taste in the mouths of any who encounter it.
- Size: 14.83 ft. Weight: 36.25 t
|Mission: Invincible||Meldacio Hunter HQ||1||Black Flan x3||The Vesperpool (Nighttime)||38||7,020 gil, Mega Phoenix||★★★|
Black flan use physical attacks. They jump on targets, slap them with their "arms", and open their mouths wide to suck in the player, chomping them down with a QTE prompt until they spit the player back out. They lunge at their targets with their mouths wide open; an attack the player can block and parry. They spot yellow globs at targets in front of them and electrify the tips of their "hands" with cerise energy. They take half damage from almost everything besides the royal arms and are weak to light.
Ignis's Enhancement can imbue Noctis's weapon with the light element. Ignis's Spelldaggers also always hit an enemy's elemental weakness. Getting behind them to trigger blindside-strikes and link-strikes works well. They can be poisoned. Prompto's Gravisphere is one of the few attacks they don't resist. Using royal arms/Armiger is recommended to take them out faster; the player can use the Bow of the Clever to stay out of their reach and do quick side-steps to out-maneuver them.
When doing the hunt, the player can wait until the sun is almost rising to start it so the flan will be hurt by sunlight.
Flan is an open pastry or sponge cake containing a sweet or savory filling. A typical flan of this sort is round, with shortcrust pastry, usually coated with sweet syrup. It is similar to a custard tart or a South African melktert.
- The attack where black flan suck in the player into their out-stretched mouth, is reminiscent of the summon Atomos.