Final Fantasy Wiki
Advertisement
Final Fantasy Wiki

Black Belt is an accessory in Final Fantasy XII. In the original version it makes the wearer immune to Disable and provides +8 to Vitality. In the Zodiac versions, it also immunizes against Immobilize and gives +7 to Vitality and +1 to Defense.

Obtain[]

Original[]

In the original PlayStation 2 versions, the Black Belt can be bought for 600 gil from Lowtown South Sprawl (after meeting Anastasis), Eruyt Village and Mt Bur-Omisace. It is found as a treasure in rainy Giza Plains' Tracks of the Beast (50% chance to appear, 50% chance for gil, 50% chance the item treasure is Black Belt without the Diamond Armlet Map 13 Giza Plains Rains) and Ozmone Plain's The Switchback (between the exits to the Greensnake and Haulo Green; 50% chance to appear, 40% chance for gil, 50% chance the item treasure is Black Belt without the Diamond Armlet Map 29 Ozmone Plain). It is also a rare steal from Vossler.

Zodiac[]

In the updated Zodiac versions, the Black Belt can be bought for 800 gil from Dalmasca Westersand (after Ondore's estate), Dyce at Nam-Yensa Sandsea and Tomb of Raithwall, Jahara, Eruyt Village, Mt Bur-Omisace, Mosphoran Highwaste (after defeating Judge Bergan) and from the "secrer shop" in Necrohol of Nabudis.

It is a treasure in Golmore Jungle's The Branchway (80% chance to appear, 40% chance for gil, 50% chance the item treasure is Black Belt without the Diamond Armlet), Tchita Uplands' Oliphzak Rise (30% chance to appear, 70% chance for gil, 50% chance the item treasure is Black Belt without the Diamond Armlet), and Pharos - Second Ascent's Station of Ascension (75% chance to appear, 40% change for gil, 50% chance the item treasure is Black Belt without the Diamond Armlet) as well as Trial Mode stages 28 and 36 with the Diamond Armlet equipped.

It is still a rare steal from Vossler and now also from Topstalk in Trial Mode Stage 27.

Use[]

The Black Belt makes the wearer immune to Disable, which makes the afflicted unable to take any action. In the Zodiac versions, it also immunizes against Immobilize, that makes the afflicted unable to move. In all versions, the Black Belt also boosts Vitality. Black Belt is useful against enemies that use Disable and Immobilize. An alternative would be to set up gambits for Remedies or Esunaga, however, Disable is one of the more severe ailments in that it won't allow the afflicted to heal themselves. Ribbons also make the Black Belt redundant as they protect against all status ailments, but are also available much later into the game. The Germinas Boots protect against Immobilize in the Zodiac versions, but are more valuable for the stat boosts they provide, whereas the Black Belt is much easier to come by and thus useful for the actual status protection.

Etymology[]

In martial arts, the black belt is a way to describe a graduate of a field where a practitioner's level is often marked by the color of the belt. The black belt is commonly the highest belt color used and denotes a degree of competence. It is often associated with a teaching grade though frequently not the highest grade or the "expert" of public perception.

Advertisement