Behemoths featured in promotional material since the game was known as Final Fantasy Versus XIII, and it was the first enemy designed for the game.
- Dubbed "King of the Beasts," this ferocious creature possesses power nigh unparalleled throughout the animal kingdom. Its name is said to have been derived from the Astral similarly revered for his peerless strength and feared for his overwhelming aura: the Bladekeeper, Bahamut.
- Size: 69.98 ft. Weight: 173.43 t
|The Pride of the King||Hammerhead||6||Behemoth x1||Keycatrich Ruins (All Times)||47||10,020 gil, Mega Phoenix||★★★|
Creation and developmentEdit
Tomohiro Hasegawa is in charge of art direction for enemies. He sculpted a model of the behemoth, which was aided by staff feedback before being scanned into the 3D workspace. The sculpt was so impressive that some of the staff wanted to buy it, but after a 3D scan had been made, Hasegawa accidentally drove into the sculpt and broke it. Behemoth was the first enemy designed for Final Fantasy XV. Director Hajime Tabata set the goal as "National Geographic", a behemoth fit for a nature documentary, involving more than just realistic muscles and cinematic camera angles, but prompting the developers to think how the behemoth evolved into its current form and how it spends time in its natural habitat.
Thus, the artists began by drawing observations and sketches based on the premise. Behemoth is a good swimmer and active in water, mainly feeds on large animals at the shore or large fish, and uses its caudal fin for swimming. Its dorsal fin helps it steer in the water, but its main function is to dissipate heat, as it is a large animal. It spends most of the day in the water to stabilize its body temperature, but when its body heats up it turns red, as seen in males engaged in turf wars. To intimidate its opponent a behemoth will spread its fins wide. It has a high tolerance to high body temperature and when its body temperature drops it becomes languid.
Behemoths have lots of health and multiple strong attacks. Their claw attacks can be deflected with a Strong Slash (/) and their horn attacks can be deflected with a Shield Bash (/). If the Behemoth strikes with its tail, Regis can counter with a Quick Slash (/) and then follow up with a Strong Slash (/) to stun the monster.
Behemoth is a beast mentioned in Job 40:15–24. In addition to mythological creatures, it is likened to elephants, hippos, rhinos, and bison. Metaphorically, the term behemoth denotes "an extremely large or powerful entity."
- During the Paris Games Week in 2015 Square Enix served food from a Final Fantasy XV-themed food truck, with a Behemoth Burger as an available dish.
- This was perhaps a reference to "Behemoth Steak" a food that is mentioned throughout various Final Fantasy titles.
- The Behemoth also appears in Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV, Omen, and A King's Tale: Final Fantasy XV.
- ↑ A look at the concept art behind Final Fantasy XV’s modern city (Accessed: December 17, 2018) at Nova Crystallis
- ↑ Yusuke Naora’s SMU Lecture Recap – Featuring New FINAL FANTASY XV Concept Art (Accessed: December 17, 2018) at Final Fantasy News
- ↑ Game Informer, The Clearing Storm; Final Fantasy XV emerges from its long development with hopes of reclaiming the RPG crown, April 5 2016
- ↑ 26 Pieces of Gorgeous Final Fantasy XV Concept Art - IGN First (Accessed: December 17, 2018) at IGN
- ↑ ''Final Fantasy XV'' food truck on Paris Games Week (Accessed: December 17, 2018) at Official ''Final Fantasy XV'' Twitter