Final Fantasy Wiki
Advertisement
Final Fantasy Wiki

The Barbut is a low ranked heavy armor helm in Final Fantasy XII that boosts the wearer's magickal defense by 11 and Strength by 4. It is metallic for the purposes of the Magnetize debuff present in the boss battles against Vinuskar and Ultima.

Obtain[]

Original[]

In the original PlayStation 2 version, the Barbut is sold for 1900 gil in Rabanastre after Leviathan, and by Dyce outside Tomb of Raithwall.

It is found as a treasure in Zertinan Caverns' Invitation to Heresy (southwestern wall; 60% chance to appear, 55% chance for gil, 50% chance the item treasure is Barbut without the Diamond Armlet equipped Map 49 Zertinan Caverns). It is rarely stolen from Yensa and Bull Yensa.

Zodiac[]

In the updated Zodiac versions, the Barbut is sold for 1800 gil in Rabanastre, Bhujerba and Dalmasca Westersand after the events at the Leviathan, and by Dyce in Nam-Yensa Sandsea, Tomb of Raithwall, and Balfonheim Port. It is found as a treasure in Ogir-Yensa Sandsea's East Junction (70% chance to appear, 30% chance for gil, 50% chance the item treasure is the Barbut without the Diamond Armlet equipped), as well as in Trial Mode Stage 35 with the Diamond Armlet equipped. It is still the rare steal from Yensa and Bull Yensa.

Use[]

Barbut is a low level helm giving 11 Magick Resist and 4 Strength. The strength bonuses make heavy armor ideal for frontline fighters, though the HP boost from light armor can be valuable in the beginning of the game. Barbut is a good helm to equip over any inferior equipment the player may have on anyone who attacks physically, although a gun-wielder does not benefit from the strength-boost.

In the Zodiac versions, Uhlan, Knight, Time Battlemage, and Foebreaker can equip it, and so it is only useful to buy if the player has chosen these License Boards as a party member's first job. It is a good heavy armor helm for the part of the story where the party crosses the sandseas and ventures into the tomb.