A country on the world's smallest continent. Known for its temperate climate and warm people. Balamb Garden adds a school-town feel to this country.
FFVIII Info Corner
Balamb is a country in Final Fantasy VIII. According to the Final Fantasy VIII Ultimania, Balamb used to be part of the Holy Dollet Empire, but since becoming autonomous, it has remained calm and peaceful. Balamb is mainly accessed by boats, although it is also connected to the Galbadian continent by underwater train, which offers a service from the town to Timber.
The island's sole town, Balamb Town, itself is surrounded by Balamb Island's varied landscapes, including sandy beaches, thick forests, and mountainous regions. It is also the hometown of Zell Dincht. Although shown as a peaceful area, it is captured by Galbadian troops under the control of Seifer. It is quickly liberated by SeeD.
Some of the locations found in Balamb include:
- Fastitocalon-F x2 (100%)
- Esuna - In the tunnel, following the train track.
- Blizzard (discs 1 and 2)/Cure (discs 3 and 4)- Above the entrance to Fire Cavern.
- Cure - Base of the mountains, just to the north-west of Balamb Garden.
Oh yeah... At the beach in Balamb, something special washes ashore at times.
Hint from the black shadow of Obel Lake
After talking to the shadow of the Obel Lake near Timber, the player can get a hint that something washes ashore at the beach in Balamb. This refers to Rinaul Coast, the only beach in Balamb island. The player may have to try again and again. The message goes:
- You found a piece of rock by your foot... But it was just a rock...
- You found a piece of rock by your foot... It looks man-made, and has some carving on it...
- S T S L R M
After getting all the rocks with writing, the player can return to the shadow for the next part of the quest.
Balamb is present as a room for preset characters of the Multiplayer Mode Online Lobby.
Balamb appears as a background in a Field Music Sequence.
- A region of Balamb is named "Gaulg Mountains". This may be an allusion to Mount Gulg from the original Final Fantasy.
- There is a sign for "Koyokoyo Balamb" in Insomnia in Final Fantasy XV.