Apocalypse (アポカリプス, Apokaripusu?) is a recurring ability in the series, oftentimes being used by extremely powerful enemies, and is generally one of the strongest attacks or spells. It has come to be associated with strong magic users.
- Genesis: "Show me the true power of SOLDIER!"
- Zack: "Mind your own business!"
- —Genesis and Zack
Apocalypse is Zack's ultimate Limit Break obtained after the defeat of Genesis in Modeoheim. Zack rises into the air and creates a red magic sigil under his enemies before gathering energy in his hand. He raises it above his head, casting powerful lightning across the battlefield and causing the sigil to explode.
The power of the attack varies depending on its level, and with 120 power at Level 5 it has the highest strength of all Zack's Limit Breaks:
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
Apocalypse is a level 8 Independent Materia that boosts the chance of Genesis's portrait appearing on the Digital Mind Wave. It begins at 5x, and increases by 1x each level up to 9x. It is bought from Net Shop Shade.
Apocalypse is also performed by Genesis as an enemy ability. He uses it in his final battle in the Banora Underground after his Avatar form is defeated. Genesis's version is performed opposite of Zack's; where Zack floats and casts the spell to smite those below, Genesis summons the magic sigil in a gold color above him by brandishing his sword upwards, its radiance overwhelming Zack, before he signals to have the sigil blast down prismatic magic from above.
While in the main game it is impossible to draw Apocalypse before the final battle (and therefore junction it), it is possible to junction it to stats if a hacking device is used to place a stock of it in a party member's magic inventory. However, there are occurrences where it does not raise any stats, as this spell was not meant to be available before the final battle.
Ultimecia's final form draws the spell from her lower half and uses it in battle herself.
There is no running from this pain. Regret awaits.
Apocalypse is an HP attack for Ultimecia. It starts under her and then slowly tracks the foe, and can be detonated at any time by releasing the attack button. It has a tall "pillar" of effect wherever it is detonated, however it reaches upward vertically and can be avoided by going under the glyph. It requires 40 CP to equip and costs 180 AP to master.
Apocalypse is an HP attack for Ultimecia who no longer needs to remain stationary while it tracks the opponent. It requires 30 CP to equip and 130 AP to master.
Apocalypse is Zack's EX ability which is obtained by equipping Zack with the Enhance Sword weapon or the Unlocked Strength passive skill.Apocalypse is an Aoe 6 hit Brv+HP attack. It inflicts the framed debuff Lock on all enemies making them all target Zack while Zack gains the Brv Barrier Framed Buff.
Rinoa learns Apocalypse at level 100. It deals Magic damage (10x) to all enemies.
Apocalypse (Ancient Greek: ἀποκάλυψις apokálypsis, from ἀπό and καλύπτω meaning "uncovering"), translated literally from Greek, is a disclosure of knowledge, i.e., a lifting of the veil or revelation. In religious contexts it is usually a disclosure of something hidden. Today, it is commonly used in reference to any prophetic revelation or so-called end time scenario, or to the end of the world in general.
- Apocalypse's animations start with a magic sigil. In Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII-, parts of the sigil contain scriptures from the final act of LOVELESS, the poem that Genesis often reads and is obsessed with.
- Genesis's use of Apocalypse in Crisis Core alludes to the Bible: Genesis marked the creation of the world, and the Apocalypse marks its end. The methods of executing Apocalypse by Zack and Genesis are of foiling yet relevant theming, as Zack's symbolizes banishment to Hell, while Genesis's execution resembles divine punishment from the heavens.
- In the German version of Final Fantasy IX, Ark's summon attack is called "Apokalypse".
- In the French version of Final Fantasy IX, Vivi's black magic Doomsday is called "Apocalypse".