Antlion is a genus of enemies in Final Fantasy XI.
Antlions are notorious among explorers and adventurers for their startling habit of burrowing under cracks in the ground, and springing out of them when something walks past above. Their large mandibles are not their only weapon, as they also have a potent venom.
Species[edit | edit source]
- Burrow Antlion
- Cave Antlion
- Hunter Antlion
- Pit Antlion
- Tracer Antlion
- Tracker Antlion
- Trench Antlion
Notorious Monsters[edit | edit source]
- Alastor Antlion
- Ambusher Antlion
- Armored Hunter
- Executioner Antlion
- Feeler Antlion
- Nightmare Antlion
- Shrewd Hunter
- Swift Hunter
Special attacks[edit | edit source]
- Mandibular Bite: Single target damage.
- Pit Ambush: Extreme single target damage. Only used by black antlions (Pit Antlions) to open a fight.
- Sandblast: 8' AoE Blind.
- Sandpit: Single target Bind.
- Venom Spray: Cone attack Poison.
- Gravitic Horn - Heavy wind damage in a fan-shaped area of effect. Resets enmity. Only used by Formiceros subspecies.
- Quake Blast - Earth damage in an area of effect and removes all equipment. Only used by certain Notorious Monsters.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Etymology[edit | edit source]
Antlions are a family of insects, known by the scientific name Myrmeleontidae. "Antlion" usually refers to the larval form of the insect, and they are so named because the larva's typical food is ants, though they will eat other insects as well. Antlions will dig pits in sand inches deep and lurk in the bottom waiting for prey to come close. When the prey falls into the pit, the loose sand on the sides of the pit prevents them from escaping and causes them to fall further down towards the antlion. The antlion's jaws are hollow, and upon biting its prey it will suck out its juices rather than actually eat it. When the antlion is finished, it flicks the husk out of its sandpit and fixes any damage done to the walls, then waits for its next meal to pass by.