Ala Mhigo is one of the city-states in Final Fantasy XIV. It is located on the eastern corner of Aldenard in a region called Gyr Abania between Gridania and Garlemald. It shares a border with Xelphatol to the north west.
Roughly 100 years prior to the game, Ala Mhigan forces attempted to invade Gridania in a conflict known as the Autumn War. The combined might of Gridania, Ishgard, Ul'dah, and Limsa Lominsa drove them back.
Ala Mhigo was invaded by a technologically superior nation not too many years ago. Though technologically proficient themselves, the largely Hyuran population of the city was still defeated. Those who would not submit to Garlean rule fled west and south, causing what is generally referred to as the "third great Hyuran migration", while those who remained either submitted entirely to Imperial rule or formed the Ala Mhigan Resistance.
But with them, they managed to hold onto their engineering talents. For now, Ala Mhigo remains part of the Garlean Empire. The fall of Ala Mhigo ushered in a change across Eorzea, where the remaining four city-states organized a rough coalition.
- Based on dialogue passed after a quest given to the player named "Winds of Change" by an NPC named Zanthael, an NPC named Sundhimal states that (in 1.0) Ala Mhigo had fallen to Garlean attack fifteen years ago. Given that the players of 1.0 have been sealed for five years, one can infer that the fall of Ala Mhigo was roughly 20 years ago with the current timeline of A Realm Reborn.
- It is also stated that, although the Ala Mhigan people were not all Hyur, the majority of all Highlander clans resided within Ala Mhigo before it was attacked.
- The Ala Mhigo people were either:
- Killed by Garleans.
- Fled from the attack.
- Were captured by Garleans, who saw their technological proficiencies, and forced them to aid in their magitek development.
- Became members of the Ala Mhigo Resistance.