Final Fantasy Wiki
Advertisement
Final Fantasy Wiki

Agate Ring is an accessory in Final Fantasy XII that nullifies weather and terrain effects on elemental damage, and in the Zodiac versions also halves Wind damage for the wearer and gives +20 to their Vitality. Wearing multiple pieces of equipment that all give the same elemental resistance does not stack, but wearing the Agate Ring with the secret Gendarme shield would make the character first half the wind damage and then absorb it.

Obtain[]

Original[]

In the original PlayStation 2 versions, the ring can be bought for 500 gil from Dalmasca Westersand (after obtaining the Treaty-Blade). It is also found as a treasure on Cerobi Steppe's The Northsward (50% chance to appear, 50% chance for gil, 10% chance the item treasure is the Agate Ring with the Diamond Armlet equipped Map 04 Cerobi Steppe). It is rarely stolen from the Onion Queen in Feywood.

Agate Ring is a reward from the Hunt Club quest on the Phon Coast; depending on whom the player gives the most Rare Game trophies to, there will be an additional reward after trading in all 30 trophies. The final rewards are buyable at the hunt club outfitters. The Agate Ring is added to the shop when the player gives 15 or fewer trophies to Stok.

Zodiac[]

In the updated Zodiac versions, Agate's Ring can be bought for 3,000 gil from Eruyt Village, Mt Bur-Omisace, Mosphoran Highwaste (after defeating Judge Bergan), Phon Coast, Balfonheim Port and the "secret shop" in the Necrohol of Nabudis.

It is a treasure in Barheim Passage's West Annex (90% chance to appear, 50% chance for gil, 50% chance the item treasure is Agate Ring without the Diamond Armlet), Tchita Uplands' The Skytrail (30% chance to appear, 70% chance for gil, 50% chance the item treasure is Agate Ring without the Diamond Armlet equipped), and the Pharos - Second Ascent's Station of Suffering (75% chance to appear, 40% chance for gil, 50% chance the item is Agate Ring without the Diamond Armlet), as well as the Trial Mode stages 40 and 84 with the Diamond Armlet equipped.

It can still be rarely stolen from the Onion Queen in Feywood, and now also from Lich (10%) in the Trial Mode Stage 9.

Use[]

Equipping the ring negates weather and terrain effects on elemental damage.

Weather / Terrain Fire Ice Thunder Water Wind Earth
Sunny
Cloudy
Sunny / Cloudy (strong winds) x1.2 x0.5 x1.2
Rain x0.5 x1.2
Rain (strong winds) / Heavy Rain x0.6 x1.2 x0.5 x1.2
Foggy / Dense Fog x1.2
Snow / Snowstorm x1.2 x1.2 x0.5 x1.2
Sandstorm x1.2 x0.5 x1.2 x1.2
Sand Terrain x1.2
Water Terrain x1.2 x1.2 x0.5
Snow Terrain x1.2

The effects of Sand Terrain and Sandstorm do not stack.

Heavy rain weather.

The ring is of niche use, as there is not ever a need to use a specific element in a non-optimal weather or terrain against any of the harder hunts or other bosses, and there are no earth-elemental spells, and there is only one water spell. Spellcasters can easily enough switch to an element that works better with the weather and terrain. The most useful weapon elements, meanwhile, are Dark- and Holy-elemental as their damage can be more easily boosted with other equipment, but there are no weather or terrain effects that affect Dark and Holy damage. The biggest handicap of weather is the lowered accuracy for ranged weapons in wind and storm, and the Agate Ring does not affect this.

The wind-halving effect in the Zodiac versions can also be gained from Windbreakers, however, this is usually the best wind-protection the party can get as there are no Absorb:Wind equipment, leaving only the secret Gendarme shield that absorbs all elements.

The ring's best property may be the +20 to Vitality that was added to the Zodiac versions, as there are not many equipment pieces that boost this stat, and +20 is quite high for a stat boost.

Etymology[]

Agate is a cryptocrystalline variety of silica characterized by its fineness of grain and brightness of color.